Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II won't start!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Disco II won't start!!

OK, this started two weeks ago...
My daughter broke the key off in the ignition. It's the key with the remote on the key and I guess it's 2-piece, as I was able to push the shank back into the key "head". Then it wouldn't start. Just clicks at starter (solenoid?). Took it to local mechanic, who diagnosed bad starter ($320). Well, I knew it was very coincidental that the key AND the starter broke at the same time, but after replacing the starter it worked fine. A few days later I hear my daughter pull in the driveway and it sounds like the engine has thrown a rod or something... one of those sounds that makes you sick to your stomach. Daddy had to explain to daughter to TELL DADDY when the car is making an unusual noise like that. After some time on my back in the driveway it turns out the drivers side catalytic converter broke loose and was rattling inside the pipe (THANK GOD). Took the car to the exhaust shop, they installed a new cat (and exhaust from the muffler back). Went to pick up Disco and no start. Dash lights come on, but no start. Just clicks. "M" and "S" lights have been on and off a few times, now "S" is staying on. This is kind of the same thing it was doing when the first guy replaced the starter... Mechanic can jump across starter and crank vehicle so I am bringing home tomorrow. BUT WHERE SHOULD I START WITH THIS?
I have considered low voltage, but I have a new battery.
I have considered XYZ switch.
I have considered the security system, but fuses, etc. look fine.
What else could be going on here and could it be related to the broken key somehow? I called the closest dealership and they confirmed that the key does NOT have a transponder (chip) in it, so how could the key be f'ing this up? Also, the remote, which is on the key, stopped working a few weeks ago. My daughter tried to have the battery replaced at the local parts house, but they told her it wasn't the battery.
Something is wacky in the security system of this vehicle, I think.
IDEAS??
HELP PLEASE... NEED TO GET TEENAGE DAUGHTER BACK ON THE ROAD.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by post42
OK, this started two weeks ago...
My daughter broke the key off in the ignition. It's the key with the remote on the key and I guess it's 2-piece, as I was able to push the shank back into the key "head". Then it wouldn't start. Just clicks at starter (solenoid?). Took it to local mechanic, who diagnosed bad starter ($320). Well, I knew it was very coincidental that the key AND the starter broke at the same time, but after replacing the starter it worked fine. A few days later I hear my daughter pull in the driveway and it sounds like the engine has thrown a rod or something... one of those sounds that makes you sick to your stomach. Daddy had to explain to daughter to TELL DADDY when the car is making an unusual noise like that. After some time on my back in the driveway it turns out the drivers side catalytic converter broke loose and was rattling inside the pipe (THANK GOD). Took the car to the exhaust shop, they installed a new cat (and exhaust from the muffler back). Went to pick up Disco and no start. Dash lights come on, but no start. Just clicks. "M" and "S" lights have been on and off a few times, now "S" is staying on. This is kind of the same thing it was doing when the first guy replaced the starter... Mechanic can jump across starter and crank vehicle so I am bringing home tomorrow. BUT WHERE SHOULD I START WITH THIS?
I have considered low voltage, but I have a new battery.
I have considered XYZ switch.
I have considered the security system, but fuses, etc. look fine.
What else could be going on here and could it be related to the broken key somehow? I called the closest dealership and they confirmed that the key does NOT have a transponder (chip) in it, so how could the key be f'ing this up? Also, the remote, which is on the key, stopped working a few weeks ago. My daughter tried to have the battery replaced at the local parts house, but they told her it wasn't the battery.
Something is wacky in the security system of this vehicle, I think.
IDEAS??
HELP PLEASE... NEED TO GET TEENAGE DAUGHTER BACK ON THE ROAD.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

pull battery and charge it and try again is the cheapest test. also check the fure box for a popped fuse.

i know my m-s light issue was a bad battery that killed the alternator then the battery just died a few days later. new battery and rebuilt alternator and no issues.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Since it'll run when jumped across the starter, I'm sort of thinking there might be a problem with the ignition switch.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Battery could have a dead cell and not have enough CCA. It can show charging and hold a charge but still not have the amps to start it. Take it to a parts store that can check the CCA.

Last edited by ralphobell; 05-05-2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you can jump across the starter and it starts, I don't think it can be the battery.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Overlanding

I considered the battery and low voltage and will try that tomorrow.
I checked the fuses, but will recheck.
I don't really know how to check the ignition switch, but I still think it's something with the security system.
Is there a way to bypass it permanently?

Old 05-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

pull battery and charge it and try again is the cheapest test

Old 05-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Overlanding

OK, battery is good, 12.4V
I can start the vehicle from either the start relay under the hood or the starter.
Cranks, starts drives as it should.
No "M" or "S" dash lights.
No fuses blown.
All fuses checked.
The key remote is NOT WORKING.
Replaced key remote battery, still not working.
I am thinking a problem with the passive immobilizer coil or something keeping the ignition from sending a signal to the relay.
Thoughts??
HELP PLEASE...

Old 05-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Drifting

Try replacing the crank position sensor, it wouldn't hurt, and it's probably time.

Well, it will hurt, but your daughter would be so proud of you.

I replaced a steering gearbox twice, which also hurt, and my daughter only sneered, and then says the new brakes wouldn't stop and the pedal went to the floor. She also was unconcerned with the ABS light glaring on the dash, so she didn't tell me for a few days.

I found a loose vac connection from the pedal to the booster that may have been the problem, but it didn't show any codes on the OBDII, so now I have to train her to use the emergency bake when she has an emergency. But first she needs to learn how to think fast.

They don't teach that in school, and since I don't have a teaching certificate, she refuses to learn anything from me.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The way to test the ignition switch is figure out which wires trigger the starter and jump them at the ignition switch. If the truck starts, it's the switch. If not, it's possibly a short between the switch and starter.

That said, it could be some kind of immobilizer issue - I know nothing about that stuff. You need to download the RAVE and read every page related to the immobilizer.

I seriously doubt it's the crankshaft position sensor. These symptoms aren't right for that.

Quick Reply: Disco II won't start!!