Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco Keeps Dying

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Disco Keeps Dying

Hey guys. I installed my new MAF today after getting the PO734, PO171, PO174 codes for a while.My son then took it on a short trip and about 5 miles later it died on him. He was low on gas, so we figured he just ran out. We putin a gallon or so and a short while later itwouldn't start when he filled up at the gas station, I figured maybe he got air in the line on the way there. Then whenit died a mile or so later I putthe old MAFback in.5 miles later it dies againand with a little bit of cranking it starts up again and we made it home. I got codes PO734twice (once with PO171 and PO174)and then the last time I got justPO171 and PO174 with the old MAF back on.

Can a bad/wrong MAF keep causing it to die and be hard to start again (like it had no fuel). It seems more likely that the fuel pump might have been toasted when he ran it dry, but I'm not sure if it would work intermitantly again or if it would throw thosecodes? It look a lot of cycling the ignition/starter on and off to get it going each time, but once it caught it was fine. The timing of it seems like the MAF but it could just be a coincidence. Any ideas?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Disco Keeps Dying

No, it won't cause the engine to stall.
Possible crank sensor, is your drivers side v/c gasket leaking oil?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

My drivers side v/c does seep a bit of oil, yes. Notenough to get to the ground, but def.seeps.Is the crank sensor right below that?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I went outside and looked. I looks like the sensor is just below the exhaust manifold with a heat shield over it?? The wire down delow is covered in oil, but the sensor is actually really clean.

Should I be able to hear the fuel pumpturn on with the ignition? I listened for it through the filler neck one of those times it died, butI didn't hear anything.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

^^ I was looking at the knock sensor.

Anyways, I haven't had a chance to test anything yet other than yesterday when I started it up to see what exactly what it was doing. Basically, I runs for about 10 minutes, than shuts right off, no sputtering or anything.Before I tested the fuel/spark/vacuum or anything, I decided to pull the crank sensor out while the exhaust was still cold. Last time I saw a magnetic sensor like this covered in metal shavings itdidn't work. Is this most likely bad? It seems like electronics start to show their problems when they get hot and that is when the truck decides to shut off. No codes by the way.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would suggest the fuel pump. It is weak and cannot provide a sufficient fuel flow to keep it running.
After it quits running check the fuel pressure. I think that you can put a fuel pressure gauge on it and check it while it is running and then see ifthe psidrops off while it is running.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I'll try the fuel pressure next, but I can't find a valve to hook a guage up to. The RAVE seems to showa schrader valve behind the engine somewhere but I don't see anything, it's pretty tight back there.

I cleaned the crank sensor off and the truck ran for about 20 minutes now rather than the usual 10 before it quit. It wouldn't start again and I found that there is no spark. Does the sensor control both injectors and spark?

Old 04-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

crank sensor only controls the spark, cam sensor takes care of the injectors. when it dies, does it just crank when you try to restart? if so, does your check engine light go off when youre cranking?

[/align]

Old 04-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It just quits after 15 minutes of idling. It cranks over fast when you try to restart it, there just doesn't appear to be any spark. The service engine soon light stays on when cranking. I've gone through this about four times just sitting in the garage and it has not given me any codes. BTW the o ring that seals the MAF at the airbox was missing, that couldn't have helped my MAF any.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

OK, try this. Let it run until it quits. Remove the air intake tubing from the throttlebody, have someone crank it over while you spary carb cleaner into the t-body, if it runs then you have spark just no fuel.
That is how one of my customers drives cars that have bad fuel pumps into the shop, his helper drives the car while he sprays carb cleaner into the engine.
I am still betting that you have a lack of fuel.
The CEL will be on while you crank, that is normal.
A fast crank usually means no fuel, if there is nothing to compress in the cylinder then there is no resitance to the piston which means less work for the starter which means it will turn over faster.

Quick Reply: Disco Keeps Dying