Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disco mike

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default disco mike

what type of lockers do you have and where did you get them? after my few trips off road i realize that they would help immensely... and i know i should beef up my gears and stuff too, so i am just looking for recomendations on who has good products and stuff like that...

i've also heard of people swapping to like toyota axles... would that be something worth looking into?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I am running a rear Detroit and a front T.T. which I really like unless I get way off camber going up a snow covered hill while turning.
I have a number of friends that are run 2 T.T.'s and those with their ARB's.
I bought mine 7 years ago and prices have changed.
Look in our classifeid section for a pretty good price on Detroits and T.T.'s.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

t.t. (tru track)?

electronic lockers or air?

and i know its not cheap to have done but i know it would help me out a lot...

Old 05-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Yes, true Trac, there are no electric lockers available for a Rover.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

cool thanks for the help

i'll let you know if i get some and what kind and how it works out...

Old 05-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Three Wheeling

If you can find it, grab a copy of the 10-1996 issue of "Four Wheeler" magazine, and look for an article called "The Lock-less Monster". It's about Doug Shipman, and his expedition rig "Old Blue", which has proven time and again that you DO NOT NEED LOCKERS to overcome even the most extreme terrain.

I used to think I was a pretty darn proficient off-roader, having cut my teeth on it in the deserts of West Texas and northern Mexico, and progressed through Arizona and Utah, but I didn't really know how much I didn't know until I hooked up with Doug Shipman in Portland, OR. Doug taught me that with a stock Rover -- Disco, Defender, Rangie or Series truck -- that I could do ANYTHING that I could do in the most "built" rig of any other brand imaginable.

His events are designed to take you to places that you can't imagine having gone otherwise, and to teach you how to do that safely. Highly recommended. I'd sure spend money on learning how to use what you have more effectively before adding expensive accessories.

Stan

Old 05-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd still get at least one locker

I agree with learning how to use what we have stock more effectively and I know I could wheel better if I had ever had a good course but I would still recommend at least a rear locker. It's an excellent "insurance policy" offroad that I have found makes a profound difference. I have ARB's F & R and like them immensely. A rear locker takes you from the stock 2 wheel four wheel drive to 3 wheel four wheel drive. Makes an incredible difference.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator

The important reason in changing out the factory diff is that there are only 2 spider gears in each diff, the weakest area in the whole drive train with the exception of the front drive shaft on a D2.
Two weeks ago, a guy from Colorado Springs went to Moab and lost both diffs with spider failure on his hi mileage D1. It happens way to frequently.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im going to go with true tracs in front and Detroit in rear when i get some money. or maybe even 2 t.t's i still have to decide

yes stock rovers are pretty stout but Ive seen my buddy's diff self destruct and its not fun also there really are times you need more then an open diff.... no matter how good the truck is its just simple physics

Old 05-24-2009, 12:28 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My plan is 4.11 gears with tru tracs front and rear and HD shafts. That should just about take care of the axles.

Quick Reply: disco mike