Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco Owners: Would you do it again

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:00 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco Owners: Would you do it again

Considering buying a 2003 Disco to replace the too-big Suburban that I just sold. This is a secondary vehicle and will be used to tow a 5000lb boat under 100 miles about 20 times a summer. It will also be my weekend rig for fun or when hunting, fishing, etc... Most of its life will frankly be in my garage as a drive a company car every day and my wife has a rig she likes. I'd like to find one with moderate mileage and good service history with the idea of keeping it for 5 or more years. Might end up as a kid's college ride at some point after that.

I've heard all kinds of horror stories about needing two so that you can always have one that's driveable, that the LR service network leaves a lot to be desired and so on - but mostly from non-LR owners. The Disco seems to be just the right combination of mid-sized package with towing capacity to meet my needs and 4x4 capability when I want to play off road. I'm not afraid of English brands as I drive a fantastic Triumph motorcycle that's served me well.

Knowing I'm addressing LR enthusiasts, I'd like to ask a couple seemingly simple questions:

Would you buy it again? Should I?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:20 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Disco Owners: Would you do it again

I would buy mine yet again I have had my share of 4x4's and
as I have gotten older the ride is better that most other
4x4's so on long trips that I take in my Disco I'm not beat
when I get there.

The 2003 has a 4.6L V8 so will tow better that older Discos
power wise.

Yes Land Rovers will make you pay the big bucks if you do not do your services whenits time.

Most people that have problems have not the money or the know how to keep their Rovers going it takes one or the other.
I hope that helps.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had mine for 6 months and I'm very happy with it. It had a few problems, but it was mostly routine stuff (spark plugs, wires, front driveshaft) all of which I could fix myself. I was able to find one in great shape though. I saw others I was not so sure about and I passed on those. Honestly, it sounds perfect for you. The only drawback is the gas mileage which can get expensive. My wife drivesours and it luckly it doesn't get a lot of miles on it, similar to your situation it sounds. Truthfully, I'm getting alittle bored with nothing to fix, but I'm not complaining.

Oh, yeah. Just don't be in a huge hurry to find one. It's usually worth the wait. Why a 2003, those are usually less desirable?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Landaus

Most people that have problems have not the money or the know how to keep their Rovers going it takes one or the other.
I really think that's the big thing. You need to keep on top of everything and who wants to take it to the shop every time the engine light comes on if you don't have the money or the knowledge? It seems like it is the small, easy problems that can cascade into big ones if not taken care of. Plus, it's a unique vehicle with enthusiasts like these guys who are so willing to help you out.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:41 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: jkid

Oh, yeah. Just don't be in a huge hurry to find one. It's usually worth the wait. Why a 2003, those are usually less desirable?
2003's just seem to be at the price point I'd like to keep the spend at. Reading here and other places, it sounded that other than the potential for the oil pump issue, the upgraded motor and electronics made it worth it to pick that vintage. If I could find an older model and had assurances on its service history, I'd likely not have a problem. I'll also take advice.

Seems like a lot of vehicle for the money. I don't worry about the gas - it probably won't see 5,000 miles a year. 12 mpg vs. 15 mpg won't make much of a gas difference. I'd have to spend a lot more to get a Toyota 4Runner with more mileage, less features and no chance of 7 passengers. I'm not sure there's a worse comparison than a head-to-head than LR vs. Toyota, but those are actually two of the rigs I'm looking at.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:41 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

YES! I would absolutely buy another one. Like I tell everyone, most disco's need to be "rehabbed" in the early ownership stages. Once you fix all the problems the previous owner left, you will love the truck. For your purpose its one of the best trucks you could own in my opinion. If you have a local independent rover shop, that will solve all the dealership woes. We have two in my area and they saved me quite a bit of money and frustration when I was in the rehab stages.

Also, if you think it might sit for a couple of months at a time there is a method to make sure it will start up after sitting for a while. I cant think of it right off the top of my head but I will search for it. If you dont think it will sit that long that fine, some discos dont like the sit for a long time. If you take it out for a drive every once in a while you will be fine. Most the the problems occur when people put them in storage for the summer months.

If you buy and 03' check and see if the oil pump has been replaced. If not replace it as soon as you buy it, the 03's are prone to oil pump failure which could lead to major damage. It may not even be a problem on the one you buy, but just to be safe....

Do TONS of research and you will end of finding a good one. Like previously stated, dont rush into one. Bring it by a shop to have it looked at before you buy, and of course check the records and carfax. Good luck and keep us updated on what you are looking at!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It definitly is a lot of vehicle for the money. I'm just saying don't pigeon-hole yourself into an 03. They do have oil pump issues and you cannot lock the transfer caseup for offroading (late 01-03 you cannot).I would rather have an olderDisco that was well cared for and without a ton of milesthan a newer, "well used"one with unknown maintenance.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:55 PM

To do it over again, I would not retain ownership beyond it's warrenty period.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No I wont buy another Land Rover. This is the last vehicle that I will buy for myself.
That being said, I will be driving this until they put me in the ground and I am only 35.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:08 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil pumps on 2003'sshould have been fixed under warranty just check.

The 4Runner is a good truck my brother had one then got his
98 Disco and liked it also.

Both are good just much different trucks just pick the
one for you.

Quick Reply: Disco Owners: Would you do it again