Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco or RX8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco or RX8?

Hello to all.
I have a little dilemma right now. I’m thinking about getting out of the Disco and into an RX8. I like my truck but I just don’t love it. I’m never going to take it off road or even let it get dirty, with the exception of winter and all the stuff that comes along with it. We can get some bad weather here in CT but nothing I cant handle with my little Hyundai. When I bought the Disco a year ago book value was close to $20,000, but now it’s about $10,000 (on a good day). That much depreciation in one year really sucks. I keep thinking that if I wait for the bad weather I’ll be glad I still have it but I’m just not sure. Its in excellent condition and since I did the plugs and wires it drives great. The thing is if someone offered me the right amount I would sell it today. I’m just not in love with it.

I think I can have more fun with the RX8. This probably is making some of you sick to your stomach but beating the snot out of a little car is more fun to me than looking pretty while I drive up and down the road.

If anyone feels they can talk me out of it, feel free. My mind is definitely not made up yet. Do you thinkI should do it or not?

Also, does anyone know what these trucks are getting from a private sale? I have the 02 Disco II se with almost 70,000 miles on it. I know Blue Book and NADA but I curious what people are actually seeing?
Thanks for the help guys…

Old 10-21-2008, 03:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Disco or RX8?

Well imo, its all down to what you want, the RX8 is a sports car, the Disco is a 4x4 so you cannot really compare them to be honest.

If your not in "love" with the truck, take her off road for some fun, you will be then

If you dont need the "offroad" ability, or the space she offers as well, then go for a normal car imo.

The Disco is a great machine, but to appreciate how good they are, you need to get her dirty, that would def bring a smile to your face and will probably sort the dilema for you , but be careful, taking them offroad becomes addictive, and the list of addons you will then want to "bolt on" never gets any shorter lol.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:09 AM
Overlanding

I know you cant really compare the two but for what they are made for I think I can get more fun out of the RX8. If I did get the Disco off road I know for a fact that I would keep it. I just think I would go too nuts with it and create problems that I can’t afford. Plus I’m a detail freak and I don’t want all the war wounds that off road would bring. The truck is my show piece for my detail business. Dirty first impression = no new customers for me. You could eat off my gas pedal, that’s how sick I am. I use the jeep for all the fun stuff. Its already trashed so I don’t feel bad about it. The Disco looks too good to mess-up. Plus I still owe on it and if something happened to it I’d be screwed.
If I keep the Disco, it will remain my baby. But so would the RX8. BTW gas is not a issue. The RX8 suck in that department also.
Does anyone here have an RX8 along with a Disco? I can sell mine and hang out with you.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You bought your Disco for the wrong reasons,,,,,,
from what I have read ,,,,,,,Sell it

Old 10-21-2008, 08:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what you should do is buy a mazda mx5 or a miata, depending on the year model and supercharge it... and keep the rover... a supercharged miata is practically a street legal go cart on crack... and keep it super clean, and then plow the rover off down some trail one day and see how much you like that...
________
Sexxydevill

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well the size of the Rover is great for buisness ad space. A RX8 wont let you paste a billboard to the side of it.
But if you want to see what Disco's are actually selling for go to www.edmunds.com, enter your zip code and a radius of 250 miles and you will see the actual selling price of Disco's within a days drive of you.
If you put the radius to "any" you will see what they are selling for all over the country.
And book value means nothing, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
If you are up-side down with the loan you will have to keep it.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the RX8, within a few months you'll realise what a mistake you made and will go back to an S.U.V quickly enough. My wife had an Xterra and traded it against a PT convertible. In fact it's that mistake that allowed me to finally get my Disco since we missed all that room that we had ,but took for granted and didn't even realise it was there. You'll learn to think before you buy after a couple of times when you'll be back to the RX8 only to realise that whatever you bought doesn't fit in the car !!!!!

That, or like me.....give me a sports car and speeding tickets start flying. I know, I onced owned an RX7 and an MR2. But if you don't get the RX8, you'll never realise what you lost. So again, go ahead and see you within a few years, or even months....maybe!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Rock Crawling

if you don't like the Disco, go ahead and sell it, but you may have more trouble than you think. I tried to sell my 96 a while back, SE7 trim with manual transmission in beautiful shape (still is) with about 90k on the clock. i could not sell that thing... it was on a few (free) online classifieds for about 6 months for a few prices, at first $5k, then $4.5, and i finally dropped it to $4k but finally nothing. i wasn't willing to part with it for any less so i ended up keeping it.

as far as the RX-8 goes... interesting choice for a sports car.

i've owned an 89 RX-7, and driven (a lot) a 93 RX-7 and an 06 RX-8 and i have to say i found the RX-8 to be kind of "castrated" as far as sports cars go... it's so laden with electronics that i couldn't even make it do donuts in a gravel parking lot.

it IS cool looking (imo) and they are cheap as hell which is a plus, but i'd get something older if you want a real sports car.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really boils down to your specific personal needs. If money isn't an issue buy both and cover all your bassis.
At present I have a DII for day to day family activity and a 94 RX-7 weekend toy(on 13k miles on her). What I cant do in one I do in the other. As for the RX-8, did an extensive test drive this summer and really enjoyed its handling ability. Can't beat it for the money hands down! Would be nice if it were more powerful, but the rear seats help ease the tradse off. For me, being able to take my 5 and 2 year old kids along for a ride is priceless. My kids loved it. Hell, I'm seriously thinking about keeping the RX-7 and getting the RX-8 and keeping the LR for the beautiful winters in the Buffalo, NY area.

Regards,

Nick

BTW apcollin 'couldn't even make it do donuts in a gravel parking lot. ' Did you turn off the stability control? I had the Rx-8 in a four wheel drift(no kids in car)on dry pavement in 90 degree summer heat. Was a blast, very balanced and consistent. With stability control on totally boring!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Rock Crawling

you know i could have sworn i turned it off but youre right, that really doesn't make sense. who knows, it's my uncle's car so i'll give it another shot sometime