Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco was towed with dolly 200 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 05:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disco was towed with dolly 200 miles

I bought a really nice D2 with a blown motor from a distance. The guy said he would deliver it, I thought he was bringing it on a car hauler, but he showed up with it on a dolly, transmission in neutral and transfer case in H. Nice guy, just a dumb mistake.

How much damage would be done, and to which parts? Is that certainly a deal breaker for the transmission or transfer case?

Thanks

Old 09-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Trans most likely fine, unless case was in neutral, may have burned up the diff (in the case). The diff is only designed for minimal slip in normal driving, not 200 mi., not even 20 mi. Rebuild or replace case. Good time to install diff lock if planning off road use.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

He should have put T-case in neutral , that's how you are supposed to tow a permanent 4wheel drive, ( towing a automatic car with trans in neutral & driving wheels on road ,& rolling along for many miles can damage the tranny)
you say he didn't have T-case in neutral so yes there is a big chance transmission got damaged, but how much, you will only find out after starting & driving it.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Well, what sucks is. . .

It's a super nice 2000 with only 125K on it, no rust etc, nice interior, new tires, etc. He only had it 3 weeks, it overheated, and he started and drove it (and overheated it) a couple of more times. He said it "was knocking" when it finally gave it up and would run no more. All I've done so far is drain the oil, which looks fine. I was hoping to take the heads off to find out, but it looks like I won't find out if the trans is any good untill/unless I get the motor running. . .if I get the heads off and it looks salvageable.

So likely the trans is alright and the transfer case would have taken the beating? Is the transfer case the same as is found on the D1?

Old 09-24-2018, 12:32 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Classic example of a person who should not own a Land Rover.

As far as the engine goes, I'd at least bleed it properly and get it up to temp to see what is really going on. Could be a cracked block but more likely just more stupidity. HG's for sure but just saying... Check it out for yourself because you can't trust anything the PO says or knows. You've got nothing to lose at this point. You could have literally several problems at once. The knocking is not good but you should at least try to diagnose whether its a cracked block or a bad oil pump, as well as cooling system issues etc...

Last edited by Dave03S; 09-24-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Default dead rovers in short supply

If I do have to try to find a transfer case/transmission, are they the same as the D1's? There are a few D1's in the yard here, but I'm not aware of any D2's in the area.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm charging up the battery and refilling the cooling system, I'll bleed it and see what she sounds like. Aside from warped heads, what are some things to look for in a "hard overheat" situation?

Old 09-24-2018, 04:11 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Transfer cases are different. D1 got the LT230T while the D2 got the LT230SE

Transmissions are different too

Old 09-24-2018, 04:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Not interchangeable?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxranger
Not interchangeable?
you'll have swap the output flanges, handbrake and plug hole for the speedometer fitting.

Big thing to note: the D2 cases are built to stand more power than the D1 cases. Imo not worth it to get a D1 case. Just make your life easier and find a D2 case.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Alright good to know! First we'll see if the engine looks like it has any life left in it. If not, well it will be a long winter project. Good thing I have a D1 and another "twin of the dead D2" to drive in the meantime!

Quick Reply: Disco was towed with dolly 200 miles