Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco2 rear bag problem (SLS)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco2 rear bag problem (SLS)

I have a 99 Disco2 with about 125K miles on it. I recently lifted it with some OME springs on the front and some 2" spacers under the bags. Shortly after I did this I also started pulling about a 3500lb. boat about every week or so. Aboutthree weeks after I lifted it and started pulling the boat it randomly lowers itself after sitting about 5 minutes. It only does it about every other day now and if it don't do it within 5 minutes of parking it, it does not lower itself at all. I went on vacation for a week with the rover parked in the garage and it didnt lower at all when I came home,but take it down the road and back and it lowered a few mins later. Any advice on what wears out that makes it lower. Both sides lower evenly so I was thinking the bags are fine no holes or anything in themand just something like a regualtor or something along that line might be broke. It picks itself back up fine as soon as I start it also. Any help appreciated.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Disco2 rear bag problem (SLS)

I have a similar issue when i go off roading in mine. When it starts to articulate to much sometimes it will go flat evenly on both sides. there is no leak on either of the bags so i was assuming it was a sensor.to get it back up i disconnect the bat. and let it sit there for about 1min,drive it on flat groundand it's good to go again.I don't know about you, but i was just going to put the OME kit on there and be done with it.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

The SLF is run by the ECU and has little quirks that will show up, some which can be correct by reprogramming the SLS, but it is pricey.
I also have a 99 with SLS with a 3" lift using the RTE spacer and adjusters and swear by it.
Your bags are going to start give you problem with the mileage you have on them. When they start leaking consider buying your next set from,
http://www.arnottindustries.com/, less money the the factory with a much new rubber and design with a life time warranty.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Default well it got worse today

Well the problem I was having with the SLS had been going on for about 2 months but slowly became more frequent to what I described as it will lower down about every other day and sometimes at least once a day. Well I went off roading some today and was doing a lot of articulation on 3 wheels and such and when I was on the way home I notice it was bottomed out and riding aweful so I get out and look and the compressor was working but it wasn't going up any. I then get home and come to see what people suggested and I seen about unplugging the battery and sure enough it raised back up so thanks a lot for that advice, it has never done that before and wouldn't raise back up. So what does this mean there is a problem with the ECU controlling the SLS? I don't want to purchase new bags if it has nothing to do with the bags themselves.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: well it got worse today

I don't think it has anything to do with the bags themselves. I have not had my truck running for two weeks and the bags are still aired up. Disco Mike knows more about these things than i do, but i think the problem is in the ECU not the bags. You do have a lot of miles though (for stock air bags).

Old 08-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it over with once and for all and convert to springs. I personnally did this and the piece of mind of one less thing to go wrong is well worth the price. I was also worried that the ride would be harsh, and to my suprise, the HD Old Man Emu springs rode as good as the SLS. It's true that I went with bigger tires when doing the lift and the ride quality could be explained by the tires.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Three Wheeling

But I love my bags I think nothing looks worse than a squatting vehicle when pulling a heavy load and with bags it doesn't do that. I have found that one bag has a tiny hole in it I could hear it and put my finger over it and it would stop the leak. My question is if only one is leaking would the air run through the lines and deflate the other side also? I would buy two bags either way but just wondering if that ismy only problem or if both bags are busted which would seem odd for it to happen at the same time. Although the side I heard the leak from does seem to sit a little lower than the other side although it does leak down quite a bit.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:45 PM

For what it's worth I'm having the same problem with my truck, and I'm fairly certain that the problem is not with the bags though I have yet to discover the cause. I've had the truck up on a rack, soaped the bags for a visual leak test, and have had two mechanic friends investigate the problem with me. To date none of us can find the cause for the leak but I have yet to start throwing replacement parts at it. Similar to previous descriptions, there is no rhyme or reason as to when the leak occurs. It doesn't happen for days at at a time and then will happens continuously for days at a time, then revert to no problem again. Another Rover mystery to me.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

The SLF is run by the ECU and has little quirks that will show up, some which can be correct by reprogramming the SLS, but it is pricey.
Did you guys read this?

Old 08-16-2007, 06:08 PM

Yes - I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me! LOL

It seems everything is "pricey" these days.

Quick Reply: Disco2 rear bag problem (SLS)