Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Disco2: weird dome light issue (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/disco2-weird-dome-light-issue-92543/)

ReconDoc83 12-12-2018 08:48 PM

Disco2: weird dome light issue

So when you want the “auto-dome” lights to come on when doors are opened; and fade out once doors are closed, the dome light armature needs to been in the CENTER position....right? Right...

So tonight for some dumbass reason my dome lights stopped coming on when doors are opened; stopped fading out when doors are closed; stopped going out after 15 seconds when truck is locked....

front cockpit light works in ON position.
rear cargo light works in ON position.

front cockpit light works in center position once ignition is keyed.
rear cargo light works in center position once ignition is keyed.

center passenger compartment light has gone bad / out (today / tonight maybe); need replaced...is this the problem?

OR is there some other gremlin in the system / ghost in the machine I am not aware of?

thanks

Doc

Sandman614 12-12-2018 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by ReconDoc83 (Post 672761)
So when you want the “auto-dome” lights to come on when doors are opened; and fade out once doors are closed, the dome light armature needs to been in the CENTER position....right? Right...

So tonight for some dumbass reason my dome lights stopped coming on when doors are opened; stopped fading out when doors are closed; stopped going out after 15 seconds when truck is locked....

front cockpit light works in ON position.
rear cargo light works in ON position.

front cockpit light works in center position once ignition is keyed.
rear cargo light works in center position once ignition is keyed.

center passenger compartment light has gone bad / out (today / tonight maybe); need replaced...is this the problem?

OR is there some other gremlin in the system / ghost in the machine I am not aware of?

thanks

Doc

The first thing that comes to mind is our leaky sunroofs and that electricity places funny games when wet.

ReconDoc83 12-12-2018 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sandman614 (Post 672774)
The first thing that comes to mind is our leaky sunroofs and that electricity places funny games when wet.

nah; no rain here of late....and I (fortunately) haven’t been a victim of the leaking roof (knock on wood).

Doc

JUKE179r 12-13-2018 05:19 AM

a 19 +/- year old vehicle might have corrosion build up from years of moisture.
pull the light assembly and check the electrical contacts for corrosion.

Ben Matheson 12-13-2018 09:56 AM

Mine act funny if I've left the doors open long enough that they automatically turn off. They went back to normal after driving the vehicle and cycling the door locks with the fob

zuke 12-13-2018 10:38 AM

All of mine have a dome light that does not come on after the rear door has been opened. Next time it comes on. WTF

ReconDoc83 12-16-2018 12:20 AM

Where is the door jam button that shuts the interior lights off....like every other vehicle ever built throughout history?

I have not seen a single door jam button.....is it an electrical circuit inside the driver door master actuator?

Doc

ReconDoc83 12-16-2018 04:09 PM

Still can’t find the door jam switches that activate the dome lights when a door is opened...

was looking in in the overhead area of the front dome light...I found the single lead black wire connected as it should be; but I found the connector in the picture dangling loose anyone know where it goes? Maybe a spare if I had a sun roof?
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...a5952125c.jpeg

Motorhead1 12-17-2018 09:46 AM

On mine, the dome lights will automatically shut off if you leave a door open for x amount of time, it's a battery drain safety feature. Mine will not start working again (auto feature) until I cycle the ignition switch. The auto dome light function is tied into the ignition somehow....I'm sure it is explained in the RAVE. Ohh, and their is NO door switches.

Ben Matheson 12-17-2018 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Motorhead1 (Post 673252)
On mine, the dome lights will automatically shut off if you leave a door open for x amount of time, it's a battery drain safety feature. Mine will not start working again (auto feature) until I cycle the ignition switch. The auto dome light function is tied into the ignition somehow....I'm sure it is explained in the RAVE. Ohh, and their is NO door switches.

Yep exactly what mine does