Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco2: weird dome light issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:48 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Disco2: weird dome light issue

So when you want the “auto-dome” lights to come on when doors are opened; and fade out once doors are closed, the dome light armature needs to been in the CENTER position....right? Right...

So tonight for some dumbass reason my dome lights stopped coming on when doors are opened; stopped fading out when doors are closed; stopped going out after 15 seconds when truck is locked....

front cockpit light works in ON position.
rear cargo light works in ON position.

front cockpit light works in center position once ignition is keyed.
rear cargo light works in center position once ignition is keyed.

center passenger compartment light has gone bad / out (today / tonight maybe); need replaced...is this the problem?

OR is there some other gremlin in the system / ghost in the machine I am not aware of?

thanks

Doc

Old 12-12-2018, 10:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ReconDoc83
So when you want the “auto-dome” lights to come on when doors are opened; and fade out once doors are closed, the dome light armature needs to been in the CENTER position....right? Right...

So tonight for some dumbass reason my dome lights stopped coming on when doors are opened; stopped fading out when doors are closed; stopped going out after 15 seconds when truck is locked....

front cockpit light works in ON position.
rear cargo light works in ON position.

front cockpit light works in center position once ignition is keyed.
rear cargo light works in center position once ignition is keyed.

center passenger compartment light has gone bad / out (today / tonight maybe); need replaced...is this the problem?

OR is there some other gremlin in the system / ghost in the machine I am not aware of?

thanks

Doc
The first thing that comes to mind is our leaky sunroofs and that electricity places funny games when wet.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:41 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sandman614
The first thing that comes to mind is our leaky sunroofs and that electricity places funny games when wet.
nah; no rain here of late....and I (fortunately) haven’t been a victim of the leaking roof (knock on wood).

Doc

Old 12-13-2018, 05:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

a 19 +/- year old vehicle might have corrosion build up from years of moisture.
pull the light assembly and check the electrical contacts for corrosion.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:56 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine act funny if I've left the doors open long enough that they automatically turn off. They went back to normal after driving the vehicle and cycling the door locks with the fob

Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

All of mine have a dome light that does not come on after the rear door has been opened. Next time it comes on. WTF

Old 12-16-2018, 12:20 AM
Mudding

Where is the door jam button that shuts the interior lights off....like every other vehicle ever built throughout history?

I have not seen a single door jam button.....is it an electrical circuit inside the driver door master actuator?

Doc

Old 12-16-2018, 04:09 PM
Mudding

Still can’t find the door jam switches that activate the dome lights when a door is opened...

was looking in in the overhead area of the front dome light...I found the single lead black wire connected as it should be; but I found the connector in the picture dangling loose anyone know where it goes? Maybe a spare if I had a sun roof?

Old 12-17-2018, 09:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

On mine, the dome lights will automatically shut off if you leave a door open for x amount of time, it's a battery drain safety feature. Mine will not start working again (auto feature) until I cycle the ignition switch. The auto dome light function is tied into the ignition somehow....I'm sure it is explained in the RAVE. Ohh, and their is NO door switches.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:56 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
On mine, the dome lights will automatically shut off if you leave a door open for x amount of time, it's a battery drain safety feature. Mine will not start working again (auto feature) until I cycle the ignition switch. The auto dome light function is tied into the ignition somehow....I'm sure it is explained in the RAVE. Ohh, and their is NO door switches.
Yep exactly what mine does

Quick Reply: Disco2: weird dome light issue