Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2 stereo removal photos

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Discovery 2 stereo removal photos

Hello group

I'm new here and a couple of weeks ago I did my first post and got a solution right away. This forum is awesome!

Let me share 5 pictures regarding removing the car stereo from a 2003 Discovery II.

The pictures are:
1. radiofront.jpg - pic of radio while being pulled out
2. radiotop.jpg - pic of top of radio toshow where clips are
3. measure.jpg - pic of clip with ruler next to it
4. closeview.jpg - close-up of clip
5. clips.jpg - pic of broken clips

I've read dozens of posts in forums and on the internet about owners having a hard time pulling out their D2 car stereos. I'll guess it's for the following reasons:
1. The removal tool is not readily available in the market
2. The factory radio is really "snug" - there's a rubber plug on the back of the radio that fits in a hole in the rear of the radio bracket the holds the radio in place
3. There's factory installed felt around the radio that keeps the radio from moving around
4. Owners are very careful and scared to jiggle the radio because they might damage it

Well after several tries I managed to remove the radio at the expense of breaking the clips. I was installing a new GROM-Audio USB unit but found out the new device was defective! Sigh ...

Anyways you can now see what the clips look like and fabricate a tool that will help you remove the radio. As you can see from the pics, the part of the clip that locks the radio in place is located just 3/4" from the front of the radio and if your tool is in more than 2-2 1/4" you are in too much

Hope these pics help!

Al G
'03 D2 86K mi

Attached Thumbnails Discovery 2 stereo removal photos-radiofront.jpg   Discovery 2 stereo removal photos-radiotop.jpg   Discovery 2 stereo removal photos-measure.jpg   Discovery 2 stereo removal photos-closeview.jpg   Discovery 2 stereo removal photos-clips.jpg  

Old 09-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Was it actually defective, or did you not hit "reset" via the manual that's provided. Try that, because I thought mine was defective too. Oh and..

Old 09-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Was it actually defective, or did you not hit "reset" via the manual that's provided. Try that, because I thought mine was defective too. Oh and..
Land Rover Discovery II Radio Removal '02 - YouTube
ZG,

Thanks for the reply.

There's no reset on the GROM device (at least from what I read in the user manual). So you have a GROM unit?

Yeah I watched this 39-second YouTube video at least 10 times. The young man was a master! Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

Al G