Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Endurance Test = PASS

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Discovery Endurance Test = PASS

Hey guys --

For those of you wondering how safe/reliable the LR Discovery is, I just finished a 4,500 mile road trip from Austin, TX to New Mexico, up and down the mountains of Colorado (12,000 ft!), and through the hot, hot desert of Arizona. It was loaded down with a family of four (wife and two small kids) and a whole slug of family camping gear, toys, clothes and assorted road repair tools for just-in-case.

I'm very happy to say that not a single drop of oil or coolant (or anything else other than gas) was needed along the way. I did check fluid levels every stop. I averaged 17 MPG for the trip (thanks to Disco Mike recommending running higher-than-stock tire psi).

Not to say that I haven't posted on here with various problems (codes, O2 sensors, panic questions, etc.) But, thanks to the advice of guys like Spike, Mike, jycsalas, BossHogt and the others (not to mention a little work by yours truly) my Disco's running like a champ right now. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself for posting.

I did notice that it's about time to fix the sagging headliner. It's going to be nice to tackle a cosmetic problem for once...

Cheers!
RedAustinIX (Ed)

Old 08-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In October of 2005 (just post-Katrina), I drove my 2003 from New Orleans, LA to Anchorage, AK. The truck had been parked at my (then) apartment in the Lower Garden District in New Orleans (Annunciation Street, for those of you that know the area - about 500 yards to the river). It was parked on a 4th floor parking deck that was open on 3 sides throughout Katrina. It sat from about 2 weeks before Katrina (when I left for business) to Oct 3rd (almost 3 months, including the worst hurricane to hit the south in some time).

When I finally got to New Orleans, I turned the key and it started right up. The only problem I found was when I lowered the sun visor, water splashed down into my lap. Never figured out how it got in (and never found any leaks or problems).

3 days later, I pointed it north and drove the 4500 miles to Anchorage. I did pack extra fluids, especially considering long parts of the Alaska Highway are without roadside services... but same experience here: no issues whatsoever. The first stop I made in Anchorage when I arrived 7 days later was the Land Rover dealer to schedule an oil change.

Still have the same 2003. I do like that truck.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Don't just tease us!

Old 08-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Drifting
Old 08-02-2011, 04:38 PM
TReK
Thumbs up

nice!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by renfield

Ah this brings back memories! I used to work in AK as a Marine Biologist on the commercial fishing boats in the Bering Sea (like Deadliest Catch). I always flew up there, but the last time I was going to go back, I had planned on driving my 99 Ford Ranger w/ camper top there and just sleeping in the back on the way...but I never got the chance to go back. It probably wouldn't have made it, but I would've loved to have tried. I definitely plan on taking my Disco up there...hopefully soon! I'm definitely jealous! Awesome pic!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Drifting

Driving the Alaska Highway was an incredible experience.. the scenery was just amazing:

Of course, there was the odd road hazard that I wasn't used to from New Orleans :

Old 08-03-2011, 05:45 PM
TReK
Thumbs up

Pic #2 is my new desktop background That is friggin' incredible.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea it was crazy to see signs for moose crossing and those warning ads of smaller cars with the roof peeled back from hitting one at 60 mph. They just roam around through Anchorage like stray dogs.
X2 on the pic. Love it! There should be a photo contest of Disco Travels on this site! I bet there would be some amazing shots!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

wow....that shot with the mountains in the background is amazing......good to hear stories and see pictures that are related to blown headgaskets and leaky engines, trans, and diff's.

we should start a thread with amazing scene's with users trucks....im susprised there isnt one.

Quick Reply: Discovery Endurance Test = PASS