Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery Engine

ohv V8 4.0 / 241 188hp 250-251 4-speed automatic: 13/17 4-speed automatic: 12.5

Well I didn't know where to put this question but lets get to the chase.
A Toyata Scion in line 4 cylinder has around 180 Hp. The land Rover Discovery V8 4.0L only has the same amount.Now, I'm not complaining, it runs fine but there kind of makes you think there is something wrong here. Just imagine the amount of power and fuel economy it could've had. What was Land Rover thinking?
A mini van probably has more and it has a V6..... I don't understand this.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Rover used the V8 because it is much smoother than a I-4, the only thing smotther then a V8 is a straight six, they already had the V8 molds so why not?
The Rover V8 has been around since the 60's, it was good then and it is good now.
Its not about horse power, its about touqre, the Scions I-4 may throw you back in your seat for a 1/4 mile but it will peter out after that, and it sure as hell wont pull a house off its foundation like a Rover will.
The LR3, RR Sport, RR and the new LR4 all have more powerful engines than us, but they are brand new from the ground up engines not hand me downs like we have.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:35 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what spike said..torque..but spelled correctly

Old 05-01-2009, 07:29 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look a scion/toyota I-4 motor is designed to give you performance at a peak rev range much higher then a low revving high displacement V8.

a motor makes more power as it spins faster, but you sacrifice the torque of that motor at higher revs.

you then also run into the lift and durations of a 4 valve OHC engine like a I-4 and take into account that the 2 intake and exhaust valves must open and close faster then a 2 valve pushrod OHV V8, therefore the cams are smaller and open close the valves faster.

our engines are slow moving, low revving anvils that perform one task well,,, propelling a 5k lb truck through dirt, mud, snow, ice, sand, hills, water etc etc etc. NOT down a 1/4 mile strip in 12 seconds.

the head, block, cam, intake design are all ancient in comparison to modern engines, but there is a reason they lasted in design for almost the entire history of cars,,, they are simple and they work. a land rover and its powertrain are designed to be simple and get you "there", where ever that may be. complicating a rover and making a engine insanely high strung defeats the entire purpose of a rover. its not about getting there fast,, its about getting there in one piece.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
what spike said..torque..but spelled correctly
Hey now, cut me some slack, my laptop gave up the ghost and so now I dont have spell check.

And Sloppy put it very nicely and matter of factly.
When the Scion is running time trials the Rover will be saving lives by delivering medicine to a third world place buried deep in the jungle that nobody has ever heard of before with its underpowered V8.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:42 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Hey now, cut me some slack, my laptop gave up the ghost and so now I dont have spell check.

And Sloppy put it very nicely and matter of factly.
When the Scion is running time trials the Rover will be saving lives by delivering medicine to a third world place buried deep in the jungle that nobody has ever heard of before with its underpowered V8.
and that is our "TOP GEAR TOP TIP" of the day

Old 05-01-2009, 08:43 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys have got me addicted to Top Gear. You jerks. I laugh my butt off every time they make fun of the Prius.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:26 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

top gear is the BEST automotive show..that reminds me I need to check comcast on-demand for new episodes

Old 05-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
top gear is the BEST automotive show..that reminds me I need to check comcast on-demand for new episodes
Dont you mean episodes that you want to see again?

I love the one where Jeremy drive a F-150 Lightning and rips the hell out of it.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555

I didn't think about that but I like that simplicity part.
It does have more torque though.
Thanks for the Top Gear session.

Quick Reply: Discovery Engine