Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery in mind

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 09:33 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery in mind

Well, it has come upon that time, when my parents have decided to buy me another car. I've been looking at the LR discovery's a lot and like them. I found one that is in perfect condition on the outside, there are no scratches on the original paint or on the windows. I looked over the LR for about a full hour before even looking on the inside. I didn't notice any rust on it, but I can honestly say I did not spend much time underneath the Disco its self. The inside of the Disco, was pretty much in perfect condition too, the only thing I noticed that was bad about it, was some parts the headlining was coming off, but I talked to the dealer about that and he said he'd fix it for free if we ended up paying $5,200 for it. It's a 1999, with 170,000 miles on it. I asked about the miles and the dealer said he had a mechanic check everything when he first recieved it to make sure it's all okay. He even called the mechanic to come down and show me. I met with him and talked about it, now what would you think I should be worried about with this deal? Anything big? Any downsides to the '99 LR disco's? With that many miles what would you think I should look for? I could have test drove it but I didn't have the time to that day, so if I do, what, if anything, should I listen/look for? Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-19-2006, 04:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Discovery in mind

Is it a 99 Discovery or a 99 Discovery series 2.

I would seriously give that some thinking Those miles are pretty elevated even though there are rovers running with way more miles than that.
Things You should look for
1. How well does it drive, how well does it shift
2. Does it have any strange noises or smells
3. does everything work lights ,signals ,brakes,horn,windows,heater,air,radio ,sunroof if fitted ect.
4. does it feel stable with those miles It could have saggy springs.
5. are the tires worn Things like that.

There is really no downside to the 99 land rover discoveries but with those miles that tells you that disco has been around the block quite a few times.
some probs may include sensors,mostly electric things and if the truck was not well taken care of then possible probs with the engine and trans.
personally I would look at other 99 Discos before I set sights on that one I not saying it's a bad deal but you'll want to be careful when buying a vehicle with that
kind of mileage on it and if your willing to spend over 10 grand for other 99 discos with lower mileage but if everything checks out good and I mean GOOD then go for it BE READY TO LEARN HOW TO REPAIR THE TRUCK YOURSELF. BUT
MAKE SURE THAT IT HAS RECORDS OF REPAIRS AND THINGS DONE TO IT IF IT DOESN'T. RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Mudding

be sure to check the oil! and other fluids. Mine was in great shape inside and out. so I bought it. Took it to get the oil changed the next day and the guy was like"do you know this thing doesn't have any oil in it?" I don't mean it was low. There was an engine problem and it was burnin' oil like crazy! just my 2 cents

Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: Macftmfw

Well, it has come upon that time, when my parents have decided to buy me another car. I've been looking at the LR discovery's a lot and like them. I found one that is in perfect condition on the outside, there are no scratches on the original paint or on the windows. I looked over the LR for about a full hour before even looking on the inside. I didn't notice any rust on it, but I can honestly say I did not spend much time underneath the Disco its self. The inside of the Disco, was pretty much in perfect condition too, the only thing I noticed that was bad about it, was some parts the headlining was coming off, but I talked to the dealer about that and he said he'd fix it for free if we ended up paying $5,200 for it. It's a 1999, with 170,000 miles on it. I asked about the miles and the dealer said he had a mechanic check everything when he first recieved it to make sure it's all okay. He even called the mechanic to come down and show me. I met with him and talked about it, now what would you think I should be worried about with this deal? Anything big? Any downsides to the '99 LR disco's? With that many miles what would you think I should look for? I could have test drove it but I didn't have the time to that day, so if I do, what, if anything, should I listen/look for? Thanks for all the help.
I need parents like yours...lol...

Old 03-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Mudding

Get me a couple of those parents too will you please?

Old 03-26-2006, 06:02 PM
4wd High

Be sure to check the A/C and heat and then the radiator fluid for possible leaks. I'm having to replace a heater core right now.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Mudding

I forgot if it is equipped with a CDL(center Differintial Lock) Put her in 4 lo and lock her up just to be sure it hasn't seized up. it isn' t major if it has but it may take a lil work to loosen it up. I don't think this applies if it is a series 2 as they are cable actuated. Some series 2 dont even have a CDL. just tryin to help any where I can...