Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery over-heats...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery over-heats...

Hey all. My Discovery over-heats. I took it to the mechanics about 4 times and they couldn't find the problem. We also replaceda total of 3 parts. Still over-heats. What happens is the vehicle stalls and the coolant spills out when the arrow hits the heat (red) bar after awhile. It usually overheats within a constant15 milesduring sunshine and heat.I was told that the radiator was completely fine and didn't even need to get flushed. I got the fan clutch replaced but it turned out to be for a Series 2 and not a Series 1 like the one I have. The thing is that it fits and all, hopefully that isn't another problem. I got the thermostat replaced too.

Discovery 98
Series 1
4.0cl
V8[/align]

Old 10-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Discovery over-heats...

STOP DRIVING IT!!!

You are going to drop a sleeve and then you will be hunting down a new motor. Letting it overheat like that and shutting it off will kill it.

Where is your coolant leaking out? Are you sure your collant level is ok? These have a sealed system and have to be bled properly. How do you know the radiator is ok?

I say take the rad to a rad shop and have them flow test it. You said you replaced 3 parts...fan clutch, thermostat, and ????

Old 10-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how many times you've let it overheat but the heads are probably warped and your burning coolant creating stall. Who said your radiator is in fine condition? How many miles? Pop the oil filler cap and look under it for a yellowish sludge. If you see something like that you've warped the heads and need a head job. next time you drive it (do not let it overheat) turn on your heater full blast and see if it takes as long to start seeing a temperature increase. Where is the coolant spilling out?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parts replaced:
Thermostat
Fan Clutch
Upper Radiator Hose

The coolant would spit out when it completely stalled (happened twice). Not sure from where though. I haven't let it overheat just yet. It is my primary vehicle and I do have to make trips to my neighboring city which lacks public transportation, so I really don't have a choice sometimes. The Texas heat doesn't help either.

Edit:Ill check for the sludge and get back to you.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to figure out where the coolant is spitting out. If you have to, bag the ecu and wash your engine. You should be able to follow the drip up, though. These trucks are prone to losing head gaskets. What year and mileage?

I would check the oil, as 98roverguy said. From there, if you are good, pull the plugs one at a time and see if one looks like it has been pressure washed.