Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery roof light bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009 | 05:04 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Cool Discovery roof light bar

First of all, it is so hard to find land rover accessories because we live in the United States... If anyone knows good sites for off road accessories - please post, thanks. Anyway, i am looking for a roof light bar to mount auxiliary lights (a roof rack is a bit pricey at the moment) . I have found a lot of them for sale in the UK obviously, but cant seem to find any in america. Can anyone help me out? They look like this:

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/NEW_...ages/pm967.jpg
http://www.invictalandroverclub.com/...2007%20087.jpg

Old 08-14-2009 | 08:16 AM
TReK

Contact Matt at Hi Country Off Road (www.hicountryoffroad.com). I talked to him in the past about having built exactly the same thing you want. I changed my mind so I think the idea slipped through the cracks but I think if enough people express interest we can see the bar offered as a regular production item. I was going to have the bar built so the lights actually mounted on top so I could use some big HID lights up there. Matt was thinking like $100 for the bar so it's definitely an option worth looking into.

Old 08-14-2009 | 09:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

That shop is close to my shop. I have never gone in there but hear good things about them.

Old 08-14-2009 | 09:55 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
That shop is close to my shop. I have never gone in there but hear good things about them.
Matt was supposed to lead a trail run last weekend but had to back out because he was so swamped with orders. I take that as a sign he's doing well. When I talked to him about the light bar we talked about an hour on the phone and he was telling me that he was pretty much day to day whether he can keep the shop open. Apparently the summer has been good to him and brought him a lot of work.

Disco Mike doesn't care for Hi Country's products because the welds aren't the prettiest. Personally I would say strong is more important than pretty. I would rather have a bumper with ugly welds that is still in good shape after hitting a tree than a pretty bumper that falls apart.

Old 08-14-2009 | 10:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I fully agree. A bit pricey though considering I have found bumpers cheaper. Still. I like supporting local shops. Even if the welds aren't perfect. I am betting he hand welds vs. the cheaper products which are machine welded.

Old 08-14-2009 | 11:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

On my grand list of "Stuff I'd love to have for the Rover but won't be able to afford for a decade or so" (catchy title, huh?) some Hi Country bumpers and a light bar are top on the list.

Old 08-14-2009 | 11:58 AM
Rock Crawling

These Light Pods can be either roof or hood mounted.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/p...turn-front.jpg

Old 08-14-2009 | 12:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

East Coast Rover built up a D90 with a similar light pod, looks pretty cool.

Name:  ECR4Jan03.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  24.7 KB

Old 08-14-2009 | 12:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by hazletbassist89
East Coast Rover built up a D90 with a similar light pod, looks pretty cool.

Yep. Those are the QT pods. I like those for the hood, and the inline ones for the roof.

http://www.qtservices.co.uk/range.asp?id=61

Old 08-14-2009 | 02:58 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
I fully agree. A bit pricey though considering I have found bumpers cheaper. Still. I like supporting local shops. Even if the welds aren't perfect. I am betting he hand welds vs. the cheaper products which are machine welded.

I just received my new rear DII bumper and also the OneMotion tire support which also has room for 3 Jerry cans or 2 and a HiLift Jack. THe quality looks very good and I saw no problem with the welds so perhaps they have made some changes. I will post some pictures when I get it all mounted.

Quick Reply: Discovery roof light bar