Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery unreal offroad

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery unreal offroad

Well after telling myself that I wasnt going to go offroad in my new D2 until I get springs shocks and so forth but the urge to go offroad was just too much! I have had a RRC and a D90, which were great off road, but even witht the D2 stock I was left with my jaw wide open, completly! Not that I went "extreme" or anything but I was walking up and over stuff without even a tire thinking of slipping. This thing is crazy, I had to get used to the new noises of the HDC and ETC but I loved every min of it. I thought I was going to kick myself for buying the D2 instead of another D90 but after today not even on my mind, I will ride in comfort going where ever I want to. I can't wait to get it lifted with new tires to go, but until then stock will be fine!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Discovery unreal offroad

Before you do too much off road with your D2, probably should replace the 2 front non-serviciable u-joints in the double cardon on the front drive shaft before they break.
Hope you enjoy your truck.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Overlanding

Mike, I've got the same vehicle as brooksa. There is a driveline shop very near my home. Is there anything special about replacing these 2 u-joints that the would make the driveline shop a bad choice (to get the work done)? Would they be replacing them with two joints that are identical other than they have a grease fitting?

Old 02-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You should be able to replace the u-joints, which are available at any auto parts store, for around $100 to $140 plus parts and drive trouble free from there on as long as you grease them every 12,000 miles.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Hey Mike, I think that was one of the first things that you advised me to do, i did't even drive the truck until I had the u-joints changed. It was a good thing, the driveline shop thought I was nuts because they told em they were fine and I would be giving them money for nothing. but they called me later to tell me that in fact they were in bad shape. So thanks for the advice. I think I might go back to mountains today with it, even stock!!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Overlanding

this is also next on my list. thanks mike!

fyi, thanks w mikes help i just replaced the p/s pressure hoses on my 2001 D2 LE. about 2 hours of work and a bitch to get to, however now i'm not dripping deadly fluid anymore.
sadly, i actually found a croaked, yellow tweety bird next to my tire yesterday am before starting on the job. a few of his yellow grey feathers sticking to a small pool of p/s fluid next to his dead body. like a mini crime scene. i drew an outline of his body in chalk, snapped a few photos and disposed of the corpse. didnt feel the need to call the cops but i knew i was a murderer and i hung my head in shame.
sniff...