Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diso II '99 Chirping when accelerating in gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diso II '99 Chirping when accelerating in gear

I have an '99 Disco II, that seems to chirp only when I'm accelerating and in gear. if it is sitting in the driveway in neutral and you accelerate nothing happens. it occurs around 2k RPMS and when you back off the gas it stops...any ideas?

Old 04-23-2006, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Diso II '99 Chirping when accelerating in gear

It is prob headgaskets. Try to powerbrake it and if it happens it is mostlikley compression leaking out of the gaskets.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:32 AM
Three Wheeling

Is that an expensive endeavor? Thanks!

Old 04-24-2006, 03:32 AM
Mudding

It should be about $150 for the kit and about 400 for the machine work if you do it yourself. A lot more if it gets done at a shop.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:15 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the reply...How tough is it to todo....and what am I having machined the heads? Do you know anywher that hsa the intructions on how to change the head gaskets? Thanks!

Old 04-26-2006, 03:58 AM
Mudding

Being that it is a rover, it is not a very difficult job to do. It does take time though and make sure you keep track of what you take off. I have never done it on a Discovery but I have done it on cars and it was not too difficult. They machine the heads so that it makes a good seal with the new gaskets. I would suggest getting a shop manual for your vehicle before you proceed. The disc version is usually cheap on ebay. Hopefully this link will take you there http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-...58697960QQrdZ1

Old 04-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Your chirp is not from a head gasket. The biggest problem with DII's when it comes to chirping noises would be the u-joints in the double cardon section of your front drive shat where it connects to the T/case. Rover sent these trucks out without grease fittings and those two u-joints turn to powder and fail, usually taking out the tranny aqt the same time.
That being said, don't wait around, have some shop look at it ASAP. It can be rebuilt, just make sure you use greasiable joints. ot buy a kit from Bill @ www.greatbasinrovers.com/
The one other possible noise can be caused by one of the pulleys or the tensioner, they has plastic pulleys and are prone to failing, they also chirp.
Don't worry about your head gaskets, they do fail but they won't chirp at you first.
Good luck.
Mike

Old 05-18-2006, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

What about just being the A/C fan? Mine has a chirp when I accelerate, but when I shut the A/C off it stops.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dutchman Dok

What about just being the A/C fan? Mine has a chirp when I accelerate, but when I shut the A/C off it stops.

Here again, with the A/C on there is more draw on the belt and pulleys, start looking for bad belt and or pulleys.
Mike

Old 05-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Rock Crawling

if the chirp gets higher is increase in throttle. spray the belt with belt dressing. if that is not the problem, take the belt off, restart the motor after it cools. if the sound is gone then the problem is in one of the pulleys. my first guess is the tensioner. I had a similar problem and tighten the tensioner bolt and the problem was fixed. the problem was cause by take the belt off when it was replaced I didn't tighten the mounting bolt on the pulley. With belt off it should help in the trouble shooting. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff

Quick Reply: Diso II '99 Chirping when accelerating in gear