Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY alignment possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 05:37 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default DIY alignment possible?

The alignment has been off since I first purchased the truck, but much much worse after I installed the HD tie rod kit. Dont have the money right now to pay a garage. Last I checked it was around $125+. Is there a simple way for someone like me to perform the alignment myself? Since the alignment was off when I got the truck I have no reference point to the correct position so it would be a raw deal for sure BUT if its not to difficult and I can save $$$ Ill do it. Any tips would be appreciated.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:17 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't go there unless you have all the right equipment, set up data and the knowledge. There are various considerations to be considered, measured and adjusted not just solely tracking. Before you commence, all the suspension, steering and wheel bearings must be in tip top condition. The camber and castor will need checking which is as important as the tracking. It'll also inform you whether the truck has been in an accident and/or the suspension/steering is misaligned fundamentally. All of this is a job for a professional alignment company unless you have the necessary equipment, set-up data and knowledge. Sorry to be such a downer but unless it's done properly you will scrub tires out in no time and have a truck which doesn't turn and handle as it should.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Shop garages, my local alignment place is only $55 for the disco

Old 11-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats a horrible idea without the right tools. You will only make it worse. Alignments around here are usually $75. I'd just keep shopping for an affordable alignment shop. But I would save up and have it done sooner than later so you don't wear your tires out.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I've done it a couple times, pretty simple actually. You can't adjust camber or castor, so really you're just aligning toe in/out.

Basically you take a string and tie it somewhere behind your rear passenger wheel at mid tire height, and wrap it all the way around the vehicle on each tire at mid height until you tie the other end in a similar place behind the driver side rear tire. What you're trying to do is to get the string to be touching the tire evenly on both sides of the wheel in the front of the vehicle. You do this by adjusting the track rod in or out.

Send me a facebook message if you need help.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I did my alignment myself with a tape measure. 12k miles later still solid

Old 11-24-2013, 05:04 AM

It really depends how accurate you want the alignment to be. If you are mostly offroading it doesn't really matter too much about accuracy as after hitting a few obstacles alignment will soon be screwed anyway. However, if you do the majority of miles on tarmac highways at speed total accuracy is god. As an ex road racer on bikes and cars wheel alignment was always critical to handling. I now work on that basis and also figure paying for alignment is far cheaper than the premature cost of new tires at £200 a pop each. (I do my own wheel alignment as I have all the right kit to do it from my racing days but I would still pay $50-150 for good laser alignment if I had to)

Old 11-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

If you can figure out where the coppers take there beat up cars. That would be the shop to check prices. Or you can send me those fancy wheels and I'll give you a couple hundred to get an alignment

Old 11-24-2013, 08:07 AM

For info - quite reasonable I reckon.

Tire Search Results | Hibdon Tire

Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
For info - quite reasonable I reckon.

Tire Search Results | Hibdon Tire
Oklahoma is a bit different than the Northeast. Cost will be higher here generally.

Quick Reply: DIY alignment possible?