Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY tips for Rain X Latitude blades w/ DII arms.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the reply! I guess I will go to plan B then. *sigh*

Old 04-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikingteacher
These don't work for me either. I also failed to have enough pressure on the windshield. I have a big smear in the middle of both wipers. The new ones do not fit as deep as the OEM and because there is a limited ability to pivot you will never get that kind of pressure on the windscreen. I had to breakdown and order my D1 arms today because this was a wholly inadequate solution.
If you want the ease of a standard type wiper and that means buying the new arm. If you are happy with Silblades or OEm then keep what you got. I thought the tabs not fitting tight and hanging off made my truck look cheap, but the inability to clear the snow yesterday morning, yeah, we had about 1 inch, was just frustrating enough when you buy 50 bucks in wipers.
This is not meant as an attack on anyone posting, just letting others know that my experience wasn't good and consider what you are doing before you hack up your current wiper arms. (I broke the inner plastic piece on one of my D2 arms, so I was fully commited to the new wiper option, or a new arm.)
Hello everyone.
This is "food for thought" on the new type blades working on OEM arms and having gaps and not enough pressure.
I put the Bosch blades on my OEM arms like EstorilM posted (thanks) and I had the gap in the middle of the drivers side window as the blade went across.....I took the complete arm off and found that the top (this being the part that slides onto the arm and the plastic pin holds the blade on) was a little to wide. I took my dremel and shaved a little off and the blade moved freely inside the arm. After installing the arm back on there was no gap!
So, maybe the reason some of you are getting the gap is because the blade is to tight inside the arm attachment doesn't let the arm push down onto the blade??
By the way, I bought a used set of DI arms and when I put the 21" bosch blades on, the one on the passenger side was two long and hit the side of the window frame; that is one of the reasons I tried EstorilM's idea. Now, using the OEM arm I was able to use both 21" blades.
Hope this helps,
C'ya,

Old 04-23-2011, 03:24 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW Insert for 2003 Wipers

I use wiper blade inserts from my local BMW center on my 2003 Disco. They fit the Disco (what I believe are OEM) wiper arms fine, and feature "snap" lines on the thin metal strips to allow cutting to size. Just need to use a side cutter to cut the rubber to the final length required and cost $10 for a set of two.

Couldn't be easier, and I can't argue too much about the price.

I buy the wiper inserts for E-46 3 Series BMW.

BK

Last edited by BillyZoom; 04-23-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i just tried it with rain x repels, does this look right? the hook parts kinda flimsy as its only catching after shoving it over... is that what you did?

Last edited by grandkodiak; 05-04-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Overlanding

Yes, this what it look like............I had to shave the sides of the blades so they would no be to tight on the arms. I've had mine on for about three months and been in a lot of rain the last couple of weeks, and they have held up very well.
C'ya,

Old 05-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

im not sure if im going to go this route, i think i might experience the lack of pressure issue, since these are a good deal taller off the glass, seems the stock spring only holds tight at factory height.... plus the blade is being held in by the pin thats only held in by a single piece of plastic stretched open over the side... dont think its worth it, think ill go trico exact fits, they are almost half the price too! even if they only last half as long, ill still break even haha.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:55 PM
5th Gear

I did the Rain-X Latitude conversion today on my 2003 DII, it worked well. Thanks for the write up!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks a ton for this thread- I tried the mod and it worked BUT with I had a similar problem that sone others have noticed- a small area on the passenger side wiper, midway up, would "miss" leaving a patch of unclean windshield- The faster the wipers ran, the patch would be wiped clean on the down swipe. After having them installed for a little over a week, we had a rain shower and they worked perfectly. I am wondering if they are now good to go for simply sitting on the screen this long in the southwest florida sun/heat. Whatever the case, I am very happy with the outcome. Thanks again for the thread!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by russburcham
Thanks a ton for this thread- I tried the mod and it worked BUT with I had a similar problem that sone others have noticed- a small area on the passenger side wiper, midway up, would "miss" leaving a patch of unclean windshield- The faster the wipers ran, the patch would be wiped clean on the down swipe. After having them installed for a little over a week, we had a rain shower and they worked perfectly. I am wondering if they are now good to go for simply sitting on the screen this long in the southwest florida sun/heat. Whatever the case, I am very happy with the outcome. Thanks again for the thread!
I installed some of those beam style wipers on my Acura. Same problem, they wouldn't wipe the center. I think they just must be garbage. I went back to a conventional style wiper and everything is great.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Success!

It took some tinkering with, but I got the 21 inch rain x latitudes installed.

Quick Reply: DIY tips for Rain X Latitude blades w/ DII arms.