Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a little research

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:24 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing a little research

I'm looking into a new vehicle, I've been checking out different types. I've come to find that I don't want a car again, as nice as it is to pull down good mileage and such I just hate sitting so low and just the way cars drive. As I've bought new cars I keep stepping up and finally after landing a good career I think I want to step up yet again and get a nice SUV. From the research I've done I want either a 2002-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland or a 2003ish-2004ish Discovery II. I want a nice AWD/4x4 system and each delivers that along with a very plush interior, I'm personally a fan of older interiors as they much more simple; along with that I want a nice V8 with some power (I know its not a sports car) so I can add bigger tires without having to regear. I understand that the discovery II can fit 33's with a 2'-3" lift and some slight trimming and can push 35's easily as well. That will probably be all I'd get for tires (33's) and that wouldn't be till later as I'd like to just throw some 31" M/T's and use that for the time being. Now a few things I'd like to find out is how much is the ACE system and forgive me for not having the name but the upgraded ABS.

School me on the year Disco I'm looking at and let me know if I should or shouldn't get and what reason. There isn't as much data about the discovery II that easily accessible unlike the jeep.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are heaps of posts like this with tons of information, just search this and other forums.
Stay away from 2003 (search for engine problems), get a 2004 if you do - however they also suffer from engine issues. They both have the same 4.6 engine and 2004 was the last year the engine was used, think about that for a moment.
Some models came with ACE and SLS as standard. SLS airbags perish and leak, so it's additional maintenance to keep in mind. TC and HDC was standard on most - I don't know if that's what you mean with upgraded ABS.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
4th Gear

I did happen to notice a lot of engine problems were the head gaskets and coolant leaks. I'm not sure about the ABS but I know I read it somewhere and the concept was that it would adjust brake pressure to each wheel if they started to slip. Only did it under 60 MPH i believe. the SLS would be nice but I don't need it. I really would like the ACE system if it is reliable.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaGGer
I'm not sure about the ABS but I know I read it somewhere and the concept was that it would adjust brake pressure to each wheel if they started to slip.
= TC or traction control. Most modern vehicles have it now.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 PM
4th Gear

I'm not talking about during acceleration but during braking. I understand what you mean with traction control but this isn't when giving gas its when on the brake. I wish I remembered were I'd read that.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

03 doesnt have CDL the 04 does. sounds like u plan on going off road so if you want one of the two go with the 04. personally i would go with a 99-01 and add the lever as the CDL is available in the TC just no linkage is provided the 03 its not in the TC.

all have HDC, TC and ABS, and all can fall victim to the 3 amigos.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaGGer
I'm not talking about during acceleration but during braking. I understand what you mean with traction control but this isn't when giving gas its when on the brake. I wish I remembered were I'd read that.
It is all controlled by traction control, it makes no difference if you are accelerating or braking, spinning around in circles, going forward or in reverse, up or down, TC does it all... except if you have the 3 amigos.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Mudding

I have owned both the jeep and now the rover. I will never leave the Rover Brand now. Jeep is Jeep but there is just something about these trucks. Get a 99 -01 as stated above and you can do a conversion to the new front end if that is something you want. I am learning with each new project that these rovers will love you back. And there has been a very helpful great bunch of people on this site...

Old 02-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly (and I might get exiled from here for saying this), I would go for the Overland looking at your criteria.
If you are looking for power, the 265hp V8 in the Overland is a great engine, and had around 324 ft lbs of torque that would launch the truck. Overall, it is a pretty solid engine/transmission combo, and overall very powerful and reliable. Also, repairs to it are far less expensive than a LR. In addition, that model had the Quadradrive which was their best system. You could have 3 wheels in the air and the truck would keep on moving.
We almost bought one when we had our son in 04, but at $41K we opted for the Acura MDX for around the same money. I did look at it really close though. The backseat is not too roomy in it, and the trunk space is much smaller too.
Here are my pro's and cons of the Jeep over the LR:
Jeep Pro:
Engine Power
Advanced 4wd
Better fuel economy (plus regular is OK)
Nicer ride
Much cheaper and easier to fix
Less issues overall
LR Pro:
Unique design; The Jeep is lost in a sea of other SUV's
Cargo room; Much bigger than the Jeep
Styling; Did I mention that one already? Damn, well, a big point still.
Quality of materials inside: The Jeep still had that cheap 90's American car look/feel inside. Terrible plastic and cheap leather

Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
There are heaps of posts like this with tons of information, just search this and other forums.
Stay away from 2003 (search for engine problems), get a 2004 if you do - however they also suffer from engine issues. They both have the same 4.6 engine and 2004 was the last year the engine was used, think about that for a moment.
Some models came with ACE and SLS as standard. SLS airbags perish and leak, so it's additional maintenance to keep in mind. TC and HDC was standard on most - I don't know if that's what you mean with upgraded ABS.

I think the '03 oil pump problems might be a bit overplayed. Some had problems in a certain vin range in regards to oil pump failure. A service tech in a large city in TN told me he has seen 3 in ten years. Hardly an epidemic. I would buy what you can find in your area that has been well taken care of and well maintained.

Quick Reply: Doing a little research