Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Lock / Rear Wiper Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Door Lock / Rear Wiper Electrical Issue

2002 D2

Short version - when I unlock with the remote, the rear wiper activates. When I unlock with the button on the dash the truck shuts off and only the drivers door unlocks on first push.

Long version - Last thing I did was replace my rear view camera - pulled some wire through the wire boot etc. That was about 2 weeks ago.
A few days ago I picked my wife up and hit the unlock button the dash - the door didnt unlock but the truck shut off.
I've found that the remote unlocks all doors correctly but activates the rear wiper for a sec.
I started my troubleshooting in the rear door given my recent work there - I found that the green/brown wire to the wiper motor was getting 12v when I push the unlock button on the remote.
I traced that wire inside the truck just outside of the rubber boot to the rear door and cut it. I tested the TRUCK side of the wire and still 12v when pushing unlock.
So now I think the problem is inside the truck not inside the rear door.
I reconnected that wire then unplugged the wiper motor and issue remained same as when the wire was cut.
When that wire was cut the remote would only unlock the drivers door. Button on dash did the same thing - nothing but shut the truck off. Two pushes seems to unlock the rear door though.

My next step is to unplug the lock/unlock button on the dash and test a bit, but very curious for any input from the experts here.

Thanks in advance...........

Old 03-26-2019, 08:17 AM
Rock Crawling

Bumping my own thread

Old 03-27-2019, 03:50 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm actually now a little surprised that I've had no input at all - weird problem, I know, but hoping for something
Even a guess could be helpful.

I have the radio dash out now - unplugged the lock/unlock button and nothing changed.
Lock/unlock button works fine with no key - turn key on and unlock stops working but both scenarios the rear wiper moves with unlock.

I did get one comment on FB that its the BCM seems a little drastic without some more troubleshooting.
Is the BCM plug and play? If I do pick up another?

Old 03-27-2019, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling

So the central lock fuse is RIGHT NEXT TO the rear wiper fuse.

I pulled the rear wiper fuse and unlock still activated the wiper.
Wiper buttons on the dash did nothing.

Will drop the fuse box after dinner and continue my troubleshooting.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:15 AM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Hmmm... if I was diagnosing this I would check wiring going to rear door...probably where it goes into door because most flex. Wires shorted together in harness

Old 03-28-2019, 04:23 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by razorkill12
Hmmm... if I was diagnosing this I would check wiring going to rear door...probably where it goes into door because most flex. Wires shorted together in harness
I did that. It's in the first post.
I cut the wiper motor wire Inside the truck and still saw 12v when hitting unlock.

Then last night saw 12v at the fuse with the fuse pulled when hitting unlock.

I'm thinking the easiest thing right now would be to swap out the fuse box - 50ish from Ebay

Last edited by NewToTheTwo; 03-28-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:08 AM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NewToTheTwo
I did that. It's in the first post.
I cut the wiper motor wire Inside the truck and still saw 12v when hitting unlock.

Then last night saw 12v at the fuse with the fuse pulled when hitting unlock.

I'm thinking the easiest thing right now would be to swap out the fuse box - 50ish from Ebay
Sorry I missed that in original post.

As you stated you first went to area of last repair to investigate for problem. Since you have problem isolated down to the power lock circuit and the wiper motor circuit, your best bet would be to look at some wiring diagrams and try to find where the circuits share similar stuff....ie connectors. Splices, etc. If you can isolate wiring/circuit, then overlay with new wiring. I know easier said than done, but just replacing fuse block/pdc prob won't fix problem.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by razorkill12
Sorry I missed that in original post.

As you stated you first went to area of last repair to investigate for problem. Since you have problem isolated down to the power lock circuit and the wiper motor circuit, your best bet would be to look at some wiring diagrams and try to find where the circuits share similar stuff....ie connectors. Splices, etc. If you can isolate wiring/circuit, then overlay with new wiring. I know easier said than done, but just replacing fuse block/pdc prob won't fix problem.
Appreciate the feedback.

I just find it hard to believe that these two random wires are touching somewhere outside of a common meeting point - FuseBox or BCU.
I believe there is a circuit board or connector at fault but deciding which parts to replace is the hard part.

I cant replace the BCU alone due to ECU sync etc - I'd have to buy all 3 - cluster, ecu and bcu to keep it simple.
$150 for a set on Ebay.
$50 or so for a fusebox.

I really need to hit up the junk yard that I know has some Disco's and see what I can pick up maybe.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Took the truck to a drive thru car wash today.
Right away the wife has water dripping on her feet.

By time I got home, pulled the under cover and the glove box I couldn't find anything.

Will test with water hose tomorrow to try and find the leak.
Could be the culprit I suppose for a jacked bcu.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:16 AM
Rock Crawling

Since it appears a lot of folks are at least reading this, I'll update.

Running the water hose around the windshield, rain gutter, even under the hood at the firewall - I got NO water inside at all.

I think the car wash was merely a coincidence with the high pressure spray and drying.
The drying is so strong my wipers pull off the windshield. The drivers one actually got pulled so hard it got stuck in its fully outward position...

I'm still leaning towards the BCU at this point due to the trio of issues I've seen - wiper activation with unlock / interior unlock only unlocks the drivers door / interior unlock turns the truck off.

Quick Reply: Door Lock / Rear Wiper Electrical Issue