Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive Door Actuator - Down, but not Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 05:59 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 281 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Drive Door Actuator - Down, but not Up

Hi forum mates,

First of all, I did extensive search in the forum and have not seen anyone posting about this issue. My key fob works. It can power-lock (down) all doors. However, for some reason, the drive side front power lock will not unlock (up) when using the key fob, i.e., all other 3 door locks will work but not the driver side front door.

I do not think it is an issue with the door pin (which I am aware Abran sells). The reason is I can use a normal key to lock and unlock the doors, including this driver side front door.

Has anyone had such an issue in the past? And what was done to resolve it? Thx!

P/S. I am planning to get Abran's door pin replacement as I anticipate I will be tearing into the door panels. Might as well get the weak factory door pins replaced with Abran's version.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:13 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Bumping this thread.... I am thinking I may need an actuator motor replacement. Or if it is something else which may be causing this problem? I live in Canada and parts are not as easy to source. Would like to see if I can narrow the possible root cause(s) before I start working on it. Anyone have thoughts on this or experienced a similar situation?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by acg; 06-25-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

It is likely an actuator issue, or more specifically the motor that drives the actuator. It probably isn't working correctly when polarity is switched and is meant to have it turn the other direction

There is a write up on here somewhere where someone disassembled the actuator and replaced just the motor inside

Old 06-25-2019, 07:20 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Hi Llama,

Thanks for the tip. I did a search for "actuator motor" and this is what I found. Good info!

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...r-83880/page3/

Old 06-26-2019, 02:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 850 Likes on 619 Posts

Does the door unlock when a key is inserted and turned? If so, it's not the actuator. How about when the rocker switch on the dashboard is used?

It's the actuator motor that locks and unlocks the truck, regardless of whether you use the keyless entry, the key in the door handle, or the switch on the dashboard.

If two of those three work, the problem is with the keyless entry fob, likely the momentary contact microswitch under the unlock button. There are other threads on this forum about people replacing a keyless entry microswitch.

Last edited by mln01; 06-26-2019 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Does the door unlock when a key is inserted and turned? If so, it's not the actuator. How about when the rocker switch on the dashboard is used?

It's the actuator motor that locks and unlocks the truck, regardless of whether you use the keyless entry, the key in the door handle, or the switch on the dashboard.

If two of those three work, the problem is with the keyless entry fob, likely the momentary contact microswitch under the unlock button. There are other threads on this forum about people replacing a keyless entry microswitch.
Valid point, but he says all doors except the drivers door respond to the key fob, so the fob is working OK

Old 06-26-2019, 01:34 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

I have two working key fobs. The same issue occurs when I use both key fobs, i.e., all doors unlock except for the driver front door.

I also have a spare key (non-remote) key. It will lock and unlock all doors.

This is telling me the key fobs appears not to be the issue. Therefore, my deduction is it is the drive front door actuator.

Thanks!

Last edited by acg; 06-26-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:41 PM
Camel Trophy

The fact that you can unlock the driver's door with the key indicates it's not the actuator. Turning the key in the door does not mechanically unlock the door. It simply grounds a wire from the BCU telling the BCU to spin the motor to unlock the door. The BCU can receive a signal from three devices telling it to unlock the door - the fob, the dashboard switch and the key in the door handle. All three tell it to do the same thing: spin the motor to unlock the door. Seems to me its either a faulty RF receiver or a faulty BCU.

Last edited by mln01; 06-26-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:59 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mln01
The fact that you can unlock the driver's door with the key indicates it's not the actuator. Turning the key in the door does not mechanically unlock the door. It simply grounds a wire from the BCU telling the BCU to spin the motor to unlock the door. The BCU can receive a signal from three devices telling it to unlock the door - the fob, the dashboard switch and the key in the door handle. All three tell it to do the same thing: spin the motor to unlock the door. Seems to me its either a faulty RF receiver or a faulty BCU.
Thanks for the additional insight!

I did some quick research based on the new info which you have provided to me. I am keeping this thread for reference:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ocation-67688/

The Rover Gods must be reading my mind. I am actually planning to replace my headliner in a couple of weeks to coincide with the installation of a VHF radio near the front dome lights. It will be a good time to get at the RF receiver unit, assuming this is the root cause. Keeping fingers crossed it is not the BCU (which means calibrating it with the ECU and resetting the vehicle mileage).

P/S. I also have been getting the related P1668 code for "Anti-Theft Alarm System BCU/BeCM Serial Link Timeout Maximum Value Exceeded. Immobiliser signal- CAN data bus.".

Last edited by acg; 06-26-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:38 PM
Camel Trophy

Dude, you contributed to that thread five years ago!

Quick Reply: Drive Door Actuator - Down, but not Up