Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive shaft Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 10:39 AM
TReK
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts
Default Drive shaft Spacers

I am struggling with a post lift noise which is starting to look like a drive shaft issue, I have a post just for that. With a 1.5 - 2 inch lift is a drive shaft spacer required, or a good general idea.

It will keep the splines better seated, but I am not sure how long that portion of the shaft is.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I’ve never needed one & I’m running 3inch lifts on all my D2’s.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:13 AM
TReK

Thanks - I am starting see why my wife thinks I am OCD about my truck

Old 05-03-2019, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Two D2’s have an Ebay 125.00 zerk fitting drive shaft, and the third is a GBR looking one.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:30 AM
TReK

Looking at the Lk8 greasable off Ebay with the current state of the CDN dollar it looks like a good choice shipped to my door- my Disco has a nice aftermarket greasable, but I do not think the PO looked after it or it may just be old.

They are both solid no movement, front back or rotational, but when I greased it to confirm the state of the grease, the stuff pushed out was pretty brown and ugly looking. It may be nothing but I will know more after I pull the front, and if required the rear and test drive this weekend.

I hate diagnosing noises, but after about a KM from a cold start there is is a very definite click, seems rotational to me, drive shaft is the really the only thing left to check.

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 05-03-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:44 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Have you tried checking the torque on the drive shaft bots? I recently had a rotational noise that turned out to be the front flange bolts of the rear drive shaft were a few turns loose. Nothing dangerous but loose enough to clank under load but couldn't replicate it by hand, seemed solid.

The bolts didn't appear to be loose by eye and it is the original rear shaft and U Joint.

Now I hear a slight noise on deceleration so changing that U joint is in order as well as the leaking pinion seals. Don't know if they make noise when they start leaking.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:58 PM
TReK

Dave, not yet I was under the truck alot this week and needed a break. Spring maint is always a pain. But my is thought was drive shaft, but having done the lift I figured to make sure I had not inadvertently missed tightening something up.

It is pretty straight forward to drop and, easy to test as I have a 2004 with CDL. With it off I can check for binding and damage easier too.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Looking at the Lk8 greasable off Ebay with the current state of the CDN dollar it looks like a good choice shipped to my door- my Disco has a nice aftermarket greasable, but I do not think the PO looked after it or it may just be old.

They are both solid no movement, front back or rotational, but when I greased it to confirm the state of the grease, the stuff pushed out was pretty brown and ugly looking. It may be nothing but I will know more after I pull the front, and if required the rear and test drive this weekend.

I hate diagnosing noises, but after about a KM from a cold start there is is a very definite click, seems rotational to me, drive shaft is the really the only thing left to check.
The Lucky8 is a great value shaft, as all their parts are. But, it only has 4 grease fittings. It does not have the zerk at the center ball. I need to order a new one as well and emailed them yesterday to ask, and they confirmed, just 4 zerks.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:22 PM
TReK

Yea BPutah has one that has the centering ball greasable - the price difference for me is brutal though 485 + 120 for shipping and duties call it 620.00 CDN VS the Lucky 8 at $325 ish CDN no real comparison price wise.

I can not justify the double the price for the drive shaft - my Disco is weekend truck and odd trip around town truck, I work from home so Lucky 8 drive shaft will work just fine.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Yea BPutah has one that has the centering ball greasable - the price difference for me is brutal though 485 + 120 for shipping and duties call it 620.00 CDN VS the Lucky 8 at $325 ish CDN no real comparison price wise.

I can not justify the double the price for the drive shaft - my Disco is weekend truck and odd trip around town truck, I work from home so Lucky 8 drive shaft will work just fine.
I'm going to order one from ProShaft out of Florida. I purchased one for my Dodge and it's been perfect and the guys there have been great! Now, now sure about the shipping cost though. Lol. Their greasable one is around $255USD

Quick Reply: Drive shaft Spacers