Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Driveline clunk. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/driveline-clunk-59317/)

larfburger 05-23-2013 09:51 PM

Driveline clunk.

Hey all,

2004 discovery with all the 90k mile service done. It's been running like a champ. My wife was driving it home tonight and about a block from our house it started clunking. It exists both in forward and reverse yet seems to be more pronounced forward. Seems to be coming from the front-passenger side. I have climbed under and yanked on everything and it all feels pretty solid. Next step I'll jack up the car and see if the hub assembly magically disintegrated itself.

Any thoughts?

Disco Mike 05-23-2013 09:56 PM

THere is a small clunk in all Discos, but if your's is getting worse, stop driving it. Have you had the front drive shaft rebuilt or replaced to prevent it's failing?

larfburger 05-23-2013 10:01 PM

It has a new front drive shaft as of 2-3k miles ago. Clunk is pretty brutal and increases frequency with speed.

Disco Mike 05-24-2013 06:31 AM

So, here again, stop driving it cause something is about to fail. Are yo mechanical enough to track it down with some directions.
Start with the wheels, are the lug nuts all tight, inspect/lube and test both drive shafts, check for metal in either diff or the t/case.

larfburger 05-24-2013 10:44 AM

Ya I'm technical enough. I did all the 90k service and some other misc items.

I'll get the car lifted up this evening and start trying to diagnose. Thanks for the help!

dr. mordo 05-24-2013 12:24 PM

Loose wheel nuts are strangly common, and I'd check the nuts on the front shaft.

Had a friend years ago where one bolt fell out of a brake caliper and it flopped around whenever he braked or accelerated.

larfburger 05-24-2013 02:51 PM

That's totally fair. My wife had the tires rotated just a few weeks ago. I'll check all the bolts when I get out of work tonight. I didn't have much patience last night to deal with it.

04duxlr 05-24-2013 03:10 PM

x2 on the lugs. Shops seem to either reef on them so that they won't come off with a lug wrench on the side of the road, get them at all different torques so that the brake rotors warp, or just not get them tight enough. I really don't see how using a torque wrench is such a burden for them but you usually have to check the torque on them yourself.

toofaroffroad 05-24-2013 04:34 PM

Jack up one front and the opposite rear tire then you can climb under and spin them around to maybe track down the clunk or at least figure out if it's drivetrain.
When my truck started doing that I searched a couple times, then randomly I was under the truck one day and found the rear u-joint of the front driveshaft in pieces.

Disco Mike 05-24-2013 05:12 PM

Make sure the lug nuts are torqued to 102 foot pounds.