Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveline stuck in park after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 07:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driveline stuck in park after rebuild

My son wrecked his disco II and I found another one so I swapped the motor and trans and used the transfer case from the one I bought.after I get the front driveshaft in it won't move. I made sure the transmission is in neutral but it still acts as if it's in park. Both are a 2002 and I know his motor and trans are good. THe tcase acted good on the other rover. Is there any chance I could have installed the tcase wrong? Seems kinda straight forward but wanted to make sure that it didn't need a special alignment to install or something. Any chance it could just need power to unlock some other safety feature? I'm not the the point of a adding a battery yet. I'm having to swap BCU ECU odometer and other things first. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I did pressure wash the trans and tcase maybe water got into something....again no power so I wouldn't think that was it. I know there is some rollover feature on the truck but not sure if that's mechanical or electrical????

I made sure the shifter for the trans wasn't stuck by disconnecting it from the trans and manual shifting it from underneath.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:11 AM
Three Wheeling

My gut is saying this is impossible. The trans is in neutral and I cant get the tcase in neutral for whatever reason. I thought maybe the tcase solenoid needed power but I now think that would be the other way around meaning if there is no power to the truck the solenoid should not be causing the tcase shifter to stick. Shouldn't matter anyways because the transmission is in neutral. I need some ideas here as Im lost!!!!

Old 09-16-2016, 10:15 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

So what is the actual problem? You can't get the t-case into neutral? Why do you need to?

It's much easier when things are slowly spinning. Have you tried disconnecting both driveshafts and spinning the output flanges while pulling on the t-case shifter? This would simulate a slow roll on the road.

Also, if you're trying the spin the front driveshaft and the wheels are on the ground or the brake discs have surface rust from sitting, you'll never do it by hand.

Still not clear exactly what you're trying to do.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:22 AM
Three Wheeling

Im wanting to be able to roll the vehicle in and out of the garage. The actual problem is I can't get the vehicle to move with both drive shafts in even with the transmission in neutral. I wanted to put the Tcase in neutral to see if it would roll then. The Tcase is currently in high....I think. I can manually put the transmission in neutral but the truck still will not move I can take the front drive shaft out and it rolls fine with back driveshaft in but the front output shaft spins the opposite direction it should. I assume either the trans or tcase is in a locked state like park.

There is something I noticed as odd while I had the Tcase out. The nut on the output flange for the back driveshaft was loose so I tightened it probably 2 whole turns. I assumed it needed to be tight since the other tcase had it tight. Somebody here has got to understand how this thing works!!!!

Last edited by cableguy1979; 09-16-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Anyone??? Someone has to have a idea what to try.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

First, make sure the parking brake is not engaged. It will lock both driveshafts(through the transfer case to front driveshaft.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Three Wheeling

It's not the handbrake remember I can take the front driveshaft out and it rolls fine. I've thought of all the little stuff.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:15 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Honestly, the only way it can exhibit this behavior is if the transmission is in park or otherwise locked. I'd double-check that there's not something wrong with the linkage. Disconnect the linkage and manually change the gears so you know it's in neutral. If it rolls around without the front driveshaft, I can't see how it's got anything to to with the t-case.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Try attaching front driveshaft only and does it roll? If so, that eliminates the differentials and suspension. Transfer case/transmission would be the issue.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok weird thing happened. I took of the transmission solenoid because it was stopping me from putting it in high neutral or low. And figured I would put the front driveshaft in since it's locked and give it a drive. It wouldn't move at all for what ever reason and the back flange wouldn't move either so I played with the t case selector while in gear and gave it gas when I did I heard a clunk and the only the back shaft flange would spin. I still need to put the rear driveshaft in but that's what I want to happen right? In gear one of the shafts moving while the other sits still? I think what ever had it hung up finally caught and maybe now it works. I will post what I find out when I get the back shaft in.

Quick Reply: Driveline stuck in park after rebuild