Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers seat cushion - replacing it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:20 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers seat cushion - replacing it?

The drivers seat leather is starting to tear....how hard is it to replace just the seat itself...the seat back is fine...i am just wanting to swap out the seat itself?

Old 01-31-2017, 12:18 AM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the passenger and drivers lowers are the same part, keep an eye for a good passenger one from a junk yard

Old 01-31-2017, 08:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

id like to do this as well some day, so if anyone has some good links post them up. hopefully some affordable options under the few hundred range. lol

Old 01-31-2017, 09:28 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
id like to do this as well some day, so if anyone has some good links post them up. hopefully some affordable options under the few hundred range. lol
and I believe Rimmer bros (UK) carries the replacement foam, which for some reason I've never seen available on this side of the pond.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

I actually just replaced my drivers side bottom seat this last weekend with a passenger side bottom seat.

I can walk you through what I did in a little bit (at work) and what to watch out for but, the whole process took me maybe 45 minutes from start to finish. I will also include a list of tools I used as you will need some special tools (i.e. torx)

Last edited by Friday Night Disco; 01-31-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:53 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

I had a classic car upholstery guy redo the seat bottom on mine, he made new foam side bolsters out of what he called "aircraft" grade foam. He said it would last longer than the truck! His theory was that getting in and out of the truck wears on the left bottom side bolster which is exaggerated with a lift.

The whole thing was around 250 labor and materials, though i did remove the seat and take it in to him then replace it myself.

One tip, if you have any issues with your seat heater element, this is the time to address it, once it is like new you won't want to take it apart again for that.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:54 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
I actually just replaced my drivers side bottom seat this last weekend with a passenger side bottom seat.

I can walk you through what I did in a little bit (at work) and what to watch out for but, the whole process took me maybe 45 minutes from start to finish. I will also include a list of tools I used as you will need some special tools (i.e. torx)
that would be a nice write up...

Old 01-31-2017, 11:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jamestfl
and I believe Rimmer bros (UK) carries the replacement foam, which for some reason I've never seen available on this side of the pond.
well u can't find it over here because rovers north is the only authorized dealer of the replacement foam from that specific manufacture. That's why a lot use rimmer bros

Old 01-31-2017, 07:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Things to think about beforehand that will make sense when you start the work but, not required

1. When you find a passenger seat or driver seat that you want to use
a. Ensure the heater works before hand
2. Bring an old beach towel
3. If pulling the seat from an existing truck
a. Bring a car battery or have your truck close by without the passenger seat so you can plug the chair in and use the controls as this will make your life easier.
Tool list
Torx Bit CRV-E14
T50
17MM socket or 17MM wrench
Long needle nose pliers
Wire Clippers
Long flat head screw driver
Phillips head screw driver
Process I followed
Step 1 Remove chair
1. Remove the (2) pieces of plastic covering on the side of the chair that covers the base.
a. (2) screws for the top portion
b. (3) screws for the bottom wrap around cover with a trim fastener on the rear facing the rear seats
2. Remove the plastic cap that attaches the seatbelt to the chair and remove the 17MM bolt
3. Remove (3) of the (4) torx E14 bolts holding the chair to the floor, leave in place the (1) rear exterior side holding the chair to the floor
4. Using the controls of the chair, pitch the chair either back or forwards so you can remove the seat side trim. You will need to use long needle nose pliers to reach in and around to squeeze the round plastic dick while you pull away from the chair. If you try to pull this part off in any way it will break. (this is why I said to bring a battery)
5. Use the controls of the chair to get it in the right position and then using needle nose pliers, remove (4) metal clips AND SAVE THEM SEPERATELY. (2) on each side where the back of the chair’s leather attaches to the seat.
6. BE CAREFUL and pitch the back of the chair all the way back so you can take the long flathead screwdriver and slide it under the long black plastic clip. IF you do this too hard you will break the black plastic clip. Take your time and move the chair around so you can slowly work the clip off. This can be done with the chair removed but, I found it much easier to do this step with the chair mounted.
7. Remove (1) torx E14 bolt with 17MM nut on the rear exterior side holding the chair to the floor
8. Grab your old beach towel and lay near the truck.
9. Pitch the back of the chair forward and lower the seat as far as it will go
10. Remove the Velcro leather cover over the rear electrical plugs
11. Disconnect all the electrical plugs (check heaters first)
12. Remove the seat and lay it down on the towel
Step 2 Remove back of chair
1. Using the T50, remove the (3) bolts from the seatbelt side and (2) bolts from the non seatbelt side.
2. Push the chair on its side and clip the zip tie holding the wires for the seatbelt light
3. Remove the seatbelt and sensor (you don’t have to do this)
Step 3 Remove leather and cushion
1. Using needle nose pliers remove (4) metal clips (2) on each side where the back of the seat met the back of the chair. DO NOT PUT THESE IN THE SAME METAL CLIP PILE AS THE BACK OF THE CHAIR, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME
2. Using two hands, push down on one side of the cushion and take the flathead screwdriver or hand and unhook the long plastic clip from the base of the seat. Do this for the other side as well.
3. Unhook the rear long plastic clip using the long flathead screwdriver, again take your time and don’t rush this as you don’t want to tear the plastic from the leather nor break it
4. Unhook the front long plastic clip, should slide right off if you did the other three.
5. Cut the zip tie for the wires going to the heater
Step 4 Replace leather and cushion
1. I did not replace the cushion on mine
2. If swapping passenger and driver seats, move the heater wire to opposite side
3. Reverse Step 3 in order, don’t forget new zip ties
Step 5 Replace back of chair
1. Reverse Step 2, don’t forget new zip ties
Step 6 Install chair
1. Reverse Step 1

The following users liked this post:
Armando (09-24-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco

Where did you source the leather?

Quick Reply: Drivers seat cushion - replacing it?