Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's side window unresponsive

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:31 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver's side window unresponsive

Looks like 80K miles must be the perfect storm range for these rigs... it also just threw the first Check Engine light I've seen on it - comes up as codes 1171 & 1174, but I need to research those more.

So my driver's side window is now unresponsive. Wondered if anyone had a suggestion to save me a lot of time before I just start digging in?
It worked perfect up until this; no slowness, noises, or anything that would indicate the motor was burning out. When I depress the switch, I believe I can hear a slight "click" sound, but can't hear anything from the door or window area.
I already tried a second switch since I have some spares after buying a set with heated seat switches to swap in (that was a beautiful "mod", thanks for telling me about that on here.)

Thanks for any advice on where to look first.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Sounds like the motor is out. Lucky8 has a special on now for regulators and or motors. I just replaced my son's driver side motor. Same thing, just heard a clicking sound inside the cabin, but nothing on the window. Not a hard job, really. The regulator has two parts, the motor bolted to the regulator(held on by 3 bolts) and the regulator itself. Once you have the door panel removed, you will unbolt the regulator from the door and the 2 bolts that attach the regulator to the window. Best to have an extra hand available to hold the window up while removing the regulator from inside the door.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Same here. New motor fixed it. My motor didn't slowly die, either. It just died.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:32 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I just did the front two doors. Both were broken plastic wheels that the regulator slides on. After watching the video it was a piece of cake. Just noticed that the rear driver window does zilch, so maybe time for a motor. Haven't had a motor die yet.

One thing that threw me was I ordered two regulators, one for the left and one for the right. I opened the boxes and they were the same. I was about to freak out thinking they sent me two passenger sides, then I simply rotated the actuator arms and suddenly it reversed. so, they may be the same part that can be used on either side.

Good pictures if you scroll down this thread https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-repair-34345/

Watch this

Last edited by jamieb; 04-06-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! New motor is ordered and on the way.

Now just to figure out those codes it started throwing...

Old 04-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

What is the trick if the window is frozen up because the motor is dead? Why do I start these projects at dusk!!!???

Old 04-13-2016, 08:50 PM
Winching

I got the door off. and noticed right away one of the bolts for the motor was just hanging there. after I removed them two of the holes were not lined up so I'm guessing my regulator it a twisted mess. I bought a used motor on ebay. I tested the motor off the battery and it did nothing. Is it safe to say the new motor to me is dead?

Old 04-13-2016, 09:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
I got the door off. and noticed right away one of the bolts for the motor was just hanging there. after I removed them two of the holes were not lined up so I'm guessing my regulator it a twisted mess. I bought a used motor on ebay. I tested the motor off the battery and it did nothing. Is it safe to say the new motor to me is dead?
Instead of testing with battery now that you have door cover off why don't you just plug in the pigtail without installing motor & test it that way, & not sure about switches at that side just remove door cover from another working door & connect new motor to pigtail & test it,

Old 04-13-2016, 10:03 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
Instead of testing with battery now that you have door cover off why don't you just plug in the pigtail without installing motor & test it that way, & not sure about switches at that side just remove door cover from another working door & connect new motor to pigtail & test it,
I did that too...dead.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

the eBay seller must be very dishonest by sending you a dead motor,, sorry to hear that,
Happened to me couple times when eBay seller's send me wrong item that didn't match picture,, one of them had no hassle return policy & I got money back,,, but other one I got shtroffed,!

Quick Reply: Driver's side window unresponsive