Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's side window unresponsive

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 12:19 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somewhat similar issue, only mine will go down one inch and get stuck. If I press outward on the glass it'll get unstuck and go back up. Do you guys think this is just the window regulator or have my worst fear of broken glass on the bottom been realized?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
the eBay seller must be very dishonest by sending you a dead motor,, sorry to hear that,
Happened to me couple times when eBay seller's send me wrong item that didn't match picture,, one of them had no hassle return policy & I got money back,,, but other one I got shtroffed,!
seller just sent me a note apologizing and promised to send a replacement right away.
We will see

Old 04-14-2016, 09:43 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
seller just sent me a note apologizing and promised to send a replacement right away.
We will see
Glad to hear that! Hope they make it right. Just looked and you can get a new motor off ebay for around $40 I'd that helps.
Mine was definitely the motor - thanks guys for the quick diagnosis. It was also stuck in the up position. I had to reef down pretty hard on the glass to get it to drop a little, and then removed all the bolts - even thetwo they say to leave in - to get the regulator part low enough where I could get the glass off it, and angle the whole thing out of there with the motor.
Interesting side note, someone had been in there before and the plastic was a mess...the motor was aftermarket, so that means at least two motors have gone on the driver's side on this thing.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:48 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cj7jed@gmail.com
Glad to hear that! Hope they make it right. Just looked and you can get a new motor off ebay for around $40 I'd that helps.
Mine was definitely the motor - thanks guys for the quick diagnosis. It was also stuck in the up position. I had to reef down pretty hard on the glass to get it to drop a little, and then removed all the bolts - even thetwo they say to leave in - to get the regulator part low enough where I could get the glass off it, and angle the whole thing out of there with the motor.
Interesting side note, someone had been in there before and the plastic was a mess...the motor was aftermarket, so that means at least two motors have gone on the driver's side on this thing.
I could not get the window to drop at all even with the connector undone.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
I could not get the window to drop at all even with the connector undone.
If the motor is non-functional, the window will not move. We had to remove the bolts then as the regulator slid down we could barely get to the two bolts that hold the window to the regulator. Kind of a pain, but it worked. FYI, when you go back together with it. make sure the regulator is in the window down position, this way you can connect the window with ease.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
If the motor is non-functional, the window will not move. We had to remove the bolts then as the regulator slid down we could barely get to the two bolts that hold the window to the regulator. Kind of a pain, but it worked. FYI, when you go back together with it. make sure the regulator is in the window down position, this way you can connect the window with ease.
So how easy (or difficult must I assume) is it to get the window to separate? Should I take my door panel off, wedge the window up to hold it in place and just crank the regulator all the way down, or will I need to put the window down with it in some odd happenstance?

Old 04-14-2016, 10:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

There are 2 bolts that hold the window to the regulator, the bolts only have to be loosened then the regulator bar(has the 2 rollers in it) can be moved over slightly and pulled off the window. The bar i am referring to has a large hole and a smaller groove cut to the side, the large hole slides over the bolt then the bar is moved to the smaller groove and tightened up(makes it easier than trying to line up the hole and instilling a bolt in the limited work area inside the door. Once the window is separated, pull the window up and tape or secure it in up position until you have the regulator installed and then let the window down onto the regulator bar, slip the bar over the window bolts and tighten them up.
try out the window before reinstalling the door panel.