Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Question

Well,
In the near future I will be going through the entire car replacing everything that could be replaced. But for now I have to just get my Disco 2 to Florida.

I have a vibration that I am suspecting is a front driveshaft issue.
Took it out to replace the 2 ujoints in the double cardon unit and found my centering ball is toast.

I don't do off-roading (at the moment) and when I do finally get it ready for off roading I will set it up to do so safely. In the meantime, the local junkyards have a couple P38's And D1's. I know the D1 Front driveshaft is single u-joints on either side which makes for a bad driveshaft angle vs. pinion angle. And the D2 units are much better (albeit prone to failure)

Would I be running into any problems Replacing The front driveshaft I have now for a D1 Driveshaft Just for my 1200 mile journey on smooth pavement?

Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Overlanding

*Or P38 Driveshaft*

Old 03-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you can, I could be wrong about that though,the 99/01 d2's lt230 transfer case have a cdl lock that you can engage. Now you could remove the front drive shaft lock the transfer case and drive using the rear drive shaft however it really depends on how far you have to drive and at what speed. I don't think I would take it on the interstate that way. Or another option is a donor d2 truck with a good front drive shaft.

When you do decide to get a new one and you are gonna off road the beast then opt for the heavy duty drive shaft. No matter which one you get just make sure it has serviceable greese fittings in the u joints.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Mudding

just rebuild the front shaft if you follow the sticky its about 80$ from rock auto .com
my parts arrive tomorrow. if it too mutch for u to do buy a new one. just please dont drive it with bad front shaft ...please

Old 03-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jhill15
I don't think you can, I could be wrong about that though,the 99/01 d2's lt230 transfer case have a cdl lock that you can engage. Now you could remove the front drive shaft lock the transfer case and drive using the rear drive shaft however it really depends on how far you have to drive and at what speed. I don't think I would take it on the interstate that way. Or another option is a donor d2 truck with a good front drive shaft.

When you do decide to get a new one and you are gonna off road the beast then opt for the heavy duty drive shaft. No matter which one you get just make sure it has serviceable greese fittings in the u joints.
I have a 2002 which has no CDL

Why does it seem people bolt up D2 Driveshafts onto their D1?

Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by blackhills
just rebuild the front shaft if you follow the sticky its about 80$ from rock auto .com
my parts arrive tomorrow. if it too mutch for u to do buy a new one. just please dont drive it with bad front shaft ...please
I replaced the u-joints already. I did not replace the centering ball bearing and noted its screwed anyways. And I'm not pulling it apart to do so anytime soon. The vibration is still there so I'm not going to be driving it with a bad driveshaft.
And I don't have the time/ money/ resources to rebuild it right now.

I really just want to know If I can bolt up a D1 or P38 Shaft. I have a very short amount of time before I have to leave to take it to florida so my only option is bolting up another one.

Last edited by biscothedisco; 03-08-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Overlanding

Simply put, can somebody tell me if the D1 or P38 Front driveshaft Bolts up to my D2?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Yes, you will be setting your self up for a tow job soon. The angle on the D2 will be more then the D1 shaft can handle so re-rebuild yours again, this time using a centering ball.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Yes, you will be setting your self up for a tow job soon. The angle on the D2 will be more then the D1 shaft can handle so re-rebuild yours again, this time using a centering ball.
At stock height the angle between the transfer case and front diff looks to be the same on the D1 and D2...

Am I wrong?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

All I know based on listening to 4 other forums for 8 years, is it doesn't work, so to be safe I don't recommend it.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Question