Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped sleeve?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dropped sleeve?

Can anyone tell me how to know if you have a sleeve that has dropped? I have the head off and im looking at the cylinder in questionand it looks perfect. Im sure I need to do some type of measurement but I dont know what to look for. Im working on a 96 disco 4.0 with a 140k. I did a compression test an a leak down test on this cylinder and the comp was 90psi(the others were 145/150)and I had 80% leakage in the cylinder and I could hear the pressure coming thru the valve covers, I couldnt hear anything thru the exhuast or the plentum. Thanks

Old 06-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Mudding
Default RE: dropped sleeve?

over hearting, water in oil, in my case the sleeves looked perfect, intil the mechanic took the engine apart then found the sleeve problem. I went ahead a replaced the block, since my sleeve was cracked.
I liked the truck so much, I did it this way.

Ralph

Old 06-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Yea looks like thats what im going to have to do as well. I have all the symptons except I dont have water in the oil or vise/versa, but it does run hot and I have low compression in two cylinders. Thanks

Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have water/coolant in your oil I doubt you have a dropped sleeve. Bad head gasket, warped heads or a bent valve maybe but not a dropped sleeve. Before you rip your engine up get the heads machined and a valve job. I had a bent exhaust valve that resultantly produced low compression. I really, really doubt its a sleeve. Have you severely overheated the engine? If not, I'm puttin my money on the aforementioned, not a dropped sleeve.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You might want to looks at a bad valve for that cylinder, which would cause air to leak ou to the valve cover.
Mike

Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Drifting

Thanks you guys, I have the heads at the shop getting resurfased as we speak. I have had all the valves out and they all seemed to move freely and seat ok. Im not sure if it was really overheated bad or not. It needed head gaskets when i bought it. The previous owner assured me it wasnt overheated but who knows. The mech at the shop saw a spot on one of my heads where he thought pressure would escape so hopefully resurfasing will do the trick. Thanks again.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Administrator

How many .000's did they find the head of prior to resurfacing?
Mike

Old 06-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Drifting

Im not sure yet Ill know tomorrow, He's working on them today an tomorrow.I know the spot were the head gasket blew ate away the aluminumhead a little bit an He did say from just looking at them and feeling that spot that that could definately be the reason for compression loss in that cylinder. That was the major reason for the resurfasing. Imnot sure yet if there was any warpage.
Thanks

Old 06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Drifting

I got my heads back today. He said he had to take .0095 off. He said they were warped pretty good. I hope that was my problem.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Rover consider .004 to be OK, mine when checked last month were at .001, so yes the really shaved your down, you will have slightly higher compression.
Mike

Quick Reply: dropped sleeve?