Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove through flood waters, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove through flood waters, now what?

Well I drove my truck through flood waters today up to the bottom of the doors, I didn't stop, the truck went through it no problems. No water came into the truck at all. I know I am going to have to re-grease everything that I just greased a month ago. Besides all of that what else do I need to look at, or do to prevent any problems? It was cool as hell by the way, big old fords and chevys were turning around and going the other way, god I wish it wasn't dark so they could have seen me waving at them.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:56 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your diffs for water contamination. There's a checklist in the owner's manual too I think of what to look at after fording.

Sounds like you had a blast, it's things like that make all of the little Rover issues disappear, if only for a minute.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Rock Crawling

That's awesome man! Can't wait to try that myself.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Mudding

It was pretty freaking awesome, I would have never attempted it had I not been watching youtube videos of Land Rovers wading last week, it was pretty deep water. I'll look in the manual. I did feel a bit bad because the owners manual says while wading you are to go only fast enough to create a bow wake. My bow wake may have contributed to some yard damage, knocked over trash cans and what-not. Man I hope my diffs are not contaminated, I put Amsoil in them and that crap is high dollar.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Mudding

Don't sweat it. I've actually had the water lapping onto the hood (maybe a little too deep?) Anyway, no water inside, nothing in axles or TC and nothing in air intake. You should be fine, but it is worth checking and definitely grease the zerts. Wading is cool!!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CHances are you are just fine if you have greased things regulary. I would double check the diffs and see if there is any frothing in there but you should not need to drain them. If you are going to make this a common practice I would double check all you vent tubes are solid and not cracked and just keep up on the regular maintenance. Remember they are used in 3rd world countries and they are not serviced like we can over here all the time, so it must be able to take a licking and keep on ticking.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Check your air filter box, if there is any signs of water, clean it out and replace the air filter with another factory paper air filter, water in the diffs? and make sure your have fresh grease in all 4 u-joints as well as both of the drive shaft slip joints.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try some rocky hills, then maybe some mud, or sand. Variety is the spice of life.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Rock Crawling

I'm such a child sometimes... I LOVE it when it floods, good times! Anyway, if you're near the coast thoroughly wash and rinse your undercarriage and grease the hell out of the u-joints. It always floods here when it rains at high tide and all the water flooding the streets is on the salt side of brackish, you'll really want to get that rinsed off... Just ask my frame. I also very quickly replaced every nut bolt and washer with stainless.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you should be careful when driving thru flooded streets. the street could have crumbled under the weight of water and you might be driving into a pit.

Quick Reply: Drove through flood waters, now what?