Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007 | 05:00 PM
|
Mudding
Default dumb question

Iam trying to remove a front alloy wheel and the lug nuts have some kind of plastic covers on them. I don't want to damage the covers, do I need a special tool to remove them in order to get to the nuts? I tried gently prising them off with a screwdriver and pulling them off with grips then decided to ask the guys with experience

Alan S1 98 Disco

Old 12-11-2007 | 05:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: dumb question

What plastic covers ??? They're made of aluminum and are meant to stay on the nut. Be gentle and use the right socket for the job. Whatever you do, do not use an impact wrench. That's how they get damaged.

Unless you have something I've never seen!

Old 12-11-2007 | 06:08 PM
|
Mudding

Thanks, maybe they are aluminum but when I put a socket that fits the cover correctly they turn but the nut inside does not.

Old 12-11-2007 | 07:15 PM
Administrator

The covers are turning because someone has used the wrong size socket in the past. At about $22 a piece that can be a problem.
Once you replace the bad lug nuts, make a point of only allowing a tire store or shop to only use the correct lug wrench size or let them know it will cost them big bucks to replace them.

Old 12-11-2007 | 08:47 PM
Mudding

I agree with Mike, if they rotate your tires have the use the LR Lug Wrench or do it yourself. Same mistake and the tire store had to buy me new lug nuts. So when having tire work when you give them your keys hand them the lug wrench, they will get the picture.

Old 12-12-2007 | 12:34 PM
|
Mudding

Thanks, so what should I use now for the slipping covers? Will the LR wrench still get them off?

Old 12-12-2007 | 12:48 PM
|
Mudding

PS So what is the correct size socket?
98 s1 disco

Old 12-12-2007 | 05:14 PM
Drifting

I cant remember off the top of my head it is ethier a 26 or 27mm (I really think it the 27)socket and if your using a socket better get a long breaker bar. I litterly twisted my lug wrench into a piece of sapgehtti tring to remove my lugs for a flat. After that got a 24 in breaker bar and the correct socket ( both out or hardened steel) havent had a problem since.. Now they come off like butter.

Old 12-12-2007 | 05:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It sounds like your nuts might be striped (I have lug bolts on my D2, I guess D1's have nuts?)
They make sockets for removing striped lug nuts, but any one that I've ever seen will never fit a LR lug. It's worth looking into.
Since it sounds like you need a new nut anyways, I would try to pry the cover off and then experiment with different types of sockets (6 pnt. - 12 pnt. - metric - SAE) and a hammer to find one that fits as tight as possible. IF it's not too striped it should work. Addingsome heat to it will also help to bust it loose.

You should be able to tell if it's striped when you try turning it with the cover on though.

Old 12-13-2007 | 12:48 AM
|
Mudding

Hey GrrRover was the lug wrench Chinese made?
Alan

Quick Reply: dumb question