Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical connector on self leveling suspension sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:03 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical connector on self leveling suspension sensor

Hi:

I'm trying to replace the self leveling suspension sensors on my 2002 Disco II. I'm having some trouble trying to get the electrical connector off the senor (trying to do this after work, at night, with a flashlight). What's the best method to get the electrical connectors off without damaging them?

Old 09-18-2010, 04:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best bet is jack up that side, remove the wheel, un bolt the sensor from the chassis and the suspension arm, then you can have it in both hands to unclip and wiggle the plug free.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:07 AM
6th Gear

Thanks, for the advice Urban Panzer .

How and where do you, push-in, or do you lift-up, or do you squeeze the sides to unclip the plug ?

Old 09-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Also be patient un-clipping the electrical socket connector. Use an eye glass screw driver to keep the clip...un-clipped while pulling it apart. Add dielectric grease when you reinstall.
I broke the clip retainer on my passengers side but it still holds fine. You could probably zip tie it if you broke the clip all the way off.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
6th Gear

Finished installing both sensors today. Thanks for your advice Urban Panzer and bosshogt, it helped me a lot.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Just curious, why did you feel they both needed to be replaced?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:49 PM
6th Gear

I decided to try replacing the sensors becuase we have been experiencing a problem with the SLS. We would start out with the vehicle at normal ride height, then at some point, while driving the vehicle would lower the back end all the way down. We would then pull over, stop and let the Disco idle, but it wouldn't raise itself. Then we tried shutting off the Disco, taking the key out of the ignition, waiting a few minutes, then restarting the vehicle (with all the doors shut of course) and it still wouldn't raise the back end. Pushing the off road button at this point doesn't help either. However, if you shut it off, leave it for an hour or more, then restart it, the back end inflates back up to normal ride height in about a minute or so, and stays up until you drive it for awhile. Also, after being off for an hour or so, the off road button works correctly. After it raised itself back to normal ride height, we've left the Disco parked in our driveway for two or more days, and the back end didn't seem to go down at all. Additionally, I got underneath and sprayed both airbags with soapy water, but I didn''t see any signs of a leak. So it seemed to me that the height sensors might be the possible source of the problem.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Let us know if that fixed it. Or if there was an issue with the compressor, selinoinds, or air lines. I would like to know the various fixes for the rear SLS when mine starts to give up

Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Before you go spending that sort of money on a guess, check with us first, the height sensors rarely fail and based on what you described this issue hasn't been fixed.
Do you have a mechanic with a scanner with Rovers SLS software reading ability/ That is what you are going to need.
Let us know what they say before you throw any more time and money at it.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Height sensors fail a LOT over here, the mountings corrode and split the plastic body, then sensor then "Moves" around and causes issues, the rod end on the suspension arm splits and again the same scenario.

They also simply "wear out"................Height sensors should be treated as "service" items and replaced every 3 -5 years imo.

Quick Reply: Electrical connector on self leveling suspension sensor