Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical connector on self leveling suspension sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I hear what you are saying and here in the states, they are not as big an issue.
I think before guessing, I would have at least had them properly tested to make sure.
Take care

Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, replacing the self leveling suspension ride height sensors did not solve our problem. I took it for a nice long test ride last night after work, and everything seemed fine. Then this morning after my wife dropped our son off at school, the back end of the truck decided to drop all the way down once again.

I'll keep you all updated on our progress after we find someone who can scan the codes.

Thanks again.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default faulty sls

I am having the same problem; sporadic failure with no obvious cause. Soaped the bags - no leaks. The system will perform flawlessly for weeks, then the driver's side will sink. It happens regardless of temperature too - cold or hot, the problem comes and goes intermittently. What are the possible causes for this?

Old 10-05-2010, 06:33 PM
6th Gear

Well I didn't have any luck finding a mechanic with a scanner with Rovers SLS software reading ability. So today I dropped it off at the (gulp) dealer to have the SLS error codes read, and if necessary, correct the controller settings for the suspension system. They called me back this afternoon to tell me that the air bags were leaking from the bottom. When I asked what the error codes were, they said that there weren't any error codes, just leaking air bags. I was the quoted an astronomical price to have the air bags replaced, and a less astronomical, but still high price to convert to coil springs.

Before I go and order a set of airbags to do the job myself, I'd like some other opinions please.

Given my earlier description of the SLS problem we have been experiencing, how plausible is it that there were no error codes, and the whole problem is leaking air bags?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NESkier
I decided to try replacing the sensors becuase we have been experiencing a problem with the SLS. We would start out with the vehicle at normal ride height, then at some point, while driving the vehicle would lower the back end all the way down. We would then pull over, stop and let the Disco idle, but it wouldn't raise itself. Then we tried shutting off the Disco, taking the key out of the ignition, waiting a few minutes, then restarting the vehicle (with all the doors shut of course) and it still wouldn't raise the back end. Pushing the off road button at this point doesn't help either. However, if you shut it off, leave it for an hour or more, then restart it, the back end inflates back up to normal ride height in about a minute or so, and stays up until you drive it for awhile. Also, after being off for an hour or so, the off road button works correctly. After it raised itself back to normal ride height, we've left the Disco parked in our driveway for two or more days, and the back end didn't seem to go down at all. Additionally, I got underneath and sprayed both airbags with soapy water, but I didn''t see any signs of a leak. So it seemed to me that the height sensors might be the possible source of the problem.
I'm having the exact same problem with my SLS. Keep us updated, we are rooting for you! (selfish reasons of course!) I'd like to know the culprit to this (apparently common) SLS issue so I can then decide to fix or convert to coils.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Discovery 2 lowers while driving

My wife has a 2001 Discovery 2 and it lowers when driving and will not raise up until you cut off the car and let it sit for awhile. It generally happens only driving from Babylon, NY to Newark, NJ. It maybe the bumps in the road that triggers it. Sometimes if the car sits too long, it will lower but raise when you start the car.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

Apparently this problem is very common. I have a 2001 Disco 2 with the same issue. I just replaced the SLS compressor myself and the issue was not resolved. I checked fuses and they were all good as well. I can do some work but my goal is here to get the vehicle fixed and not have a $1200 bill at the dealer. Any advice here? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I am in Mass. and can read your codes with my hawkeye if you wish, Sorry I see you already found some one.
I do not believe a leaking bag will send a code, but it does explain your issues.
The reason that you have to wait and hour or so for the system to fill back up, I would guess the compressor is locking out/overheating (they are not made for continous duty).
When you shut the truck off it breaking the curciut the compressor cools down and restarts with the truck raising it back up.
Aronott makes some good air bags there is a link on the main page under supplies.
You probably want to pull the fuse/ or plug to your compressor to avoid burning it out before your new bags arrive, compressors are very expensive even used.
You can find the leak with a spray bottle of soap and water more than likely it will be in one of folds when the bags are deflated.

Last edited by drowssap; 10-12-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Winching

One thing that I do not understand is how can NESkier's truck remain in the up position when it is parked. Wouldn't the trucks airbags always deflate if their was a leak instead of intermittently. How can it leak sometimes and sometimes not. If it has a leak it should always leak, specially when it is off, parked, and the compressor can't run, right.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Rock Crawling

The compressor relay would be a good place to start. Cheap part and likely the cause.

Quick Reply: Electrical connector on self leveling suspension sensor