Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:45 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Failure

I have a 2000 Discovery Series II with 101,000 miles. Oil light came on while driving 70 on highway, soon started knocking then poof, engine stopped with puff of smoke. I know, bad news. Metal fragments on oil dipstick. I'm not mechanically inclined in anyway. Anybody have any advice? Apparently lost oil pressure then siezed engine. Does this mean a whole new engine and is it worth it? Thanks.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Engine Failure

How long did you continue to drive with the oil light on?

Old 11-09-2008, 11:51 AM
4wd High

Was getting off at the next exit, about 3 miles. It stopped on the ramp. Happened very fast with no previous symptoms.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Team Owner

Well, sorry to hear that. It probally could have been saved had you pulled over and shut it off in the first 30 seconds of the oil light being on, but not for 3 miles and certainly not for 3 miles at 70 mph.
You need a new engine, is it worth it? Thats up to you. A used engine will set you back $4,000, new close to $8,000.
What do you owe on the truck?
I assume that you ran it out of oil and that is why the light came on?
I think it is worth fixing, but that is up to you. You will have a very hard time selling it with a blown engine.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:05 PM
4wd High

Had it towed to local mechanic. Oil level is still good, didn't run out of oil, apparently just stopped circulating oil. I was stupid enough to assume that the light meant it was low. I still owe $1500 on it. Have owned it for 4 years with few problems. Love the truck. Can't imagine driving anything else. I notice you're in GR, I'm in Battle Creek.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Team Owner

I love in Grandville, SW corner of GR by RiverTown Mall, not even a mile away.
You can look into having the engine rebuilt. Buy a used one, or try and sell your truck for whatever you can get.
Personally I would have the engine rebuilt.
When ever any warning light comes on pull over and shut it off within 30 seconds.
Remeber this, if it'sRED it means its DEAD. Red warning lights are the serious ones. Amber ones are the "get it looked at soon" ones.
Sounds like your oil pump failed or your engine sludged up really bad.
Just out of curiosity what grade of gas were you using?

Old 11-09-2008, 12:25 PM
4wd High

Always run premium. Thanks for all your help. You know anyone who would rebuild this engine other than the LR dealer? My mechanic won't touch it.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Team Owner

Why wont he touch it? Its just a engine just like any other engine. This kinda things makes me mad, nobody will touch a LR because they are scared, and the ones who will touch it see $$ signs because it is a Rover and if you own a LR you MUST be loaded.

http://austinjordanengines.com/These guys are good, they used to be one of my customers. I would NOT use Accurate Engine, they suck. They will have you done in less than a week, but they are not good.
Austin Jordan has a good warrenty with their engines, but here is a tip for you, you MUST have the oil changed at 500 miles AND have a reciept, their warrenty is null and void if this is not done.

Now as for a engine rebuilder in Battle Creek? I have no idea.
The dealer wont rebuild your engine, they will only sell you a new one.
You can also try Weller Auto Parts on Chicago Drive in Wyoming and www.autosportsunlimited.com for a used engine. I do not know Wellers web address, sorry.
Also try www.roverlandparts.com

Old 11-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

spike, do you think some how his engine hadthe defect like in the 03's and 04's? darn i wish he would have read the forums, thats like one of the first things you learn, light on, truck off.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:52 PM
4wd High

You have been a huge help to me today! Thanks so much for all the good advice. I'll let you know how this all turns out. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Engine Failure