Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Flush ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009 | 10:06 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Engine Flush ?

Looking for a thread on how to do an engine flush on my disco and cant find one. I would really like to do an engine flush on my 04 disco because I never have since I baught it and its been 2 years and god only knows if the previous owner has ever done it.

First I would like to know how to do an engine flush .

Second I would like to know what is the best product out there I need to use to perform an engine flush

Last edited by ALEXAN; 10-14-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2009 | 10:16 PM
Winching
Old 10-15-2009 | 07:17 AM
Winching
Old 10-15-2009 | 09:28 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ALEXAN
Looking for a thread on how to do an engine flush on my disco and cant find one. I would really like to do an engine flush on my 04 disco because I never have since I baught it and its been 2 years and god only knows if the previous owner has ever done it.

First I would like to know how to do an engine flush .

Second I would like to know what is the best product out there I need to use to perform an engine flush
Send me your number and I'll call you and walk you thru this process.

Old 10-15-2009 | 02:31 PM
|
Three Wheeling

I did a little research yesterday and found many engine flush products. Are they all the same or is there a certain engine flush product known to be very good for a quick heavy duty cleaning of the engine. Which enigne flush product is the best at cleaning sludge and carbon build up used the first time around and clean even more if used twice

Old 10-15-2009 | 03:43 PM
|
Three Wheeling

problem solved talked to dsico mike. Thanks mike your a great help

Old 10-15-2009 | 06:07 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ALEXAN
problem solved talked to dsico mike. Thanks mike your a great help
And the result??

I'd like to know.

Or do I need to make an international call to Disco Mike!
________
Club Royal Condominium

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2009 | 07:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cranky
And the result??

I'd like to know.

Or do I need to make an international call to Disco Mike!
My guess is that Mike told him to drain the oil, fill the engine with transmission fluid, idle it for 15 min, and then do a normal oil change.
Now here is the problem with that, transmission fluid is NOT a engine lubricant.
You are running the risk of ruining your engine buy filling it with ATF and running it.
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
A engine flush is not needed as long as the oil has been changed at regular intervals.

Old 10-15-2009 | 08:09 PM
TReK

Here is my opinion on flushes, take it for what it's worth...

ATF is an oil with detergent levels around that of the cheaper motor oils so it will not clean any better than a motor oil. It is not a solvent and it is non-polar like motor oil so it will not dissolve anything a motor oil won't. It is thinner than most motor oils so what it will do is remove the thin layer of the thicker motor oil clinging to the metal parts of your engine (if you have seen this layer it is usually dark brown and actually beneficial) so it looks like it is doing something but it is not dissolving sludge or varnish. I don't necessarily think ATF in the crankcase for 15 minutes at IDLE will harm anything but I don't think it helps anything either.

My opinion (what I actually do) would be to use a good HDEO that is high in detergents like shell rotella and add marvelous mystery oil (MMO) for a few hundred miles at the end of an OCI. Autorx is supposed to be good for sludge but it is not really a flush per-se.

Then there are the solvent flushes like kerosene, B12 Chemtool, Amsoil Engine Flush etc. These are for extreme cases if you know you have sludge, heavy varnish, stuck or noisy valves, noisy valvetrain etc. and need a fast fix.

Of course these are just IMO from what I know about chemistry and what I've read online in the oil forums. Everyone should form their own opinions on what they pour in their engine.

Old 10-15-2009 | 08:10 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
My guess is that Mike told him to drain the oil, fill the engine with transmission fluid, idle it for 15 min, and then do a normal oil change.
Now here is the problem with that, transmission fluid is NOT a engine lubricant.
You are running the risk of ruining your engine buy filling it with ATF and running it.
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
A engine flush is not needed as long as the oil has been changed at regular intervals.
Oh!
I've sent mine in for service every 10,000 km. Unfortunately I don't have any confidence things were done right for the last 10 years. Now I'm going to do everything myself.
I changed my filter and oil about 2mths ago, but i have at least one lifter ticking. I also had about 2 months of overheating issues which may have caused the oil to gunk up.

So that being said, I don't think I fall into the okay catagory.

What do I need to do?
________
NightsTale cam

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine Flush ?