Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Flush

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Flush

I read that when you do an engine flush, that you should replace a QT of the oil with an additive such as Rislone . Is this correct. Can someone tell me the exact steps on performing the engine flush as well as for the induction cleaning.

Thanks

Old 08-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Engine Flush

You can either do that, or drain your oil, fill with ATF and idle for 20 minutes. Drain, replace filter and fill with oil. I think lots of people prefer the ATF method on here, but whatever you do, depending on your mileage, be ready to drop the pan and clean out the oil pickup tube. If it's really dirty, it will get clogged.

The induction cleaning is easy. Take off your vacuum line from the driver's side valve cover, and use it to suck 1/3 to 1/2 can in. Shut the truck off and let it soak for 10 minutes. Fire it back up and watch the smoke pour out.

PS, Add your year and approx. mileage to your signature. Helps with the suggestions so we don't have to ask every time.
PSS, what is your mileage and year?

Old 08-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You don't want to mix ATF with some additive that is designed to build up your compression, the ATF will wash it away.
Do it right 6 qts. of ATF in your engine for a 20 minute idle then drain the crank case, change your filter and add your favorite oil.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Overlanding

Im confused at what pressure does the low oil pressure light go on or is it an oil level sensor? I am about to do an ATF engine flush and I am reading that i should be prepared to drop the pan if in fact my oil pickup tube is clogged. What are the chances? How often does this happen or is it something that plagues 2003s oiling system? Disco Mike?

Old 12-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Overlanding

Is there a recommended ATF fluid to use or what NOT to use? Wallymart brand ATF okay or pass? Mopar ATF +4?

Old 12-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: howellja

Im confused at what pressure does the low oil pressure light go on or is it an oil level sensor? I am about to do an ATF engine flush and I am reading that i should be prepared to drop the pan if in fact my oil pickup tube is clogged. What are the chances? How often does this happen or is it something that plagues 2003s oiling system? Disco Mike?
On a 2003, there isn't much risk of there being enough gunk to clog anything up. If the oil has been changed regularly, I don't see thevalue ofa flush on your vehicle anyway.

Dave

Old 12-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: howellja

So if you have an oil pressure light coming on sometimes at idel, and it's an 03, then you need to have a good Rover mechanic inspect for a failing oil pump that was pretty common on many of the 03's. There were a number of engine failures so have it checked ASAP, by a mechanic that is familiar with this issue.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: goldfishy

Is there a recommended ATF fluid to use or what NOT to use? Wallymart brand ATF okay or pass? Mopar ATF +4?
Any ATF is fine, don't need to spend money on the expensive one, they all work well.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:46 AM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can get an engine flush from Auto Zone for $3. It's made by Gunk and simply called "Engine Flush." I used it on my 03 with a noticeable improvement.

However, I don't see it helping out with an oil pump issue. Have it inspeceted per Mike's suggestion.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator

By the way, the Gunk is a great flush, especially if you have already done an ATF flush in the past. I use one of the one quart flushes every 2nd. oil change just to keep things good a clean.

Quick Reply: Engine Flush