Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine issues, rough idle, bad o2's..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
Correct, but doesn't it seem odd I'm not getting a cylinder 3 misfire too? If I was then I would think coil.
The coils aren't even and odd, so you're on the right track. I'll bet if you were to drive it long enough like this, you'd eventually get a code for #3.... but don't try to find out.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drowssap
there is a reason they are only 69.00.[/FONT]
Heck you can buy the OEM sensors (in a bosch aftermarket box) from amazon for less than that. I just bought a pair, and they have the land rover part number etched into the sensors, and the connectors are the correct colors, etc.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drowssap
you can try heat but that connection has already been heated and cooled a million times just buy the converter exhaust.
I would soak it in SeaFoam Deep Keep and put i big *** box wrench on it or make a full commitment and cut the wires off and use a socket and breaker bar.
Also just because you bought the 02 sensors from Atlantic British does not meen they will work. There are a few old post from people who went thru two or three sets of AB 02sensors before getting there money back, there is a reason they are only 69.00.
Oh thanks for letting me know this. I am going to call AB today and tell them there sensors they sold me are broken.

Originally Posted by jafir
The coils aren't even and odd, so you're on the right track. I'll bet if you were to drive it long enough like this, you'd eventually get a code for #3.... but don't try to find out.
I assumed that.
Heck you can buy the OEM sensors (in a bosch aftermarket box) from amazon for less than that. I just bought a pair, and they have the land rover part number etched into the sensors, and the connectors are the correct colors, etc.
I did buy the rear o2's from Amazon.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check the female ends of the 02 connectors? I had some similar codes, and after messing around for weeks with new 02 sensors, I found one of the female connectors was slightly fouled, one of the four prongs was blackened. Cut and spliced a new one in, boom, fixed like 3-4 codes.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also used the 02 from antlic British . And the guy the works on my disco said for what ever reason these 02 do not work right . So I took his advice and changed them out to oem 02 sensors to find a perfect smooth idle . He says he has tried them several times from Ab and talk to them and they do not no why they cause a bad idle . His thoughts are they are a standard 02 . Thery are even a different shape and style

Old 08-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Winching

After 80 miles of driving today here are the codes that have popped up again. I cleared the codes this morning.
Pending Trouble Codes:
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0161 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
Trouble Codes:
P1300 Boost Calibration Fault
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0305Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
I find it interesting the computer thinks the 303 and 305 are both "pending" but also "hard" faults.
Still waiting on plug wires... I also am smelling a sweet smell of anti freeze, however when I smell my exhaust it doesn't smell sweet nor did it fail the head gasket block tester. Really wish the wires would get here sooner rather than later.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Eaglerover22
Did you check the female ends of the 02 connectors? I had some similar codes, and after messing around for weeks with new 02 sensors, I found one of the female connectors was slightly fouled, one of the four prongs was blackened. Cut and spliced a new one in, boom, fixed like 3-4 codes.
I did not check the ends of the o2's. I will do so.

Originally Posted by SWAINROVER
I also used the 02 from antlic British . And the guy the works on my disco said for what ever reason these 02 do not work right . So I took his advice and changed them out to oem 02 sensors to find a perfect smooth idle . He says he has tried them several times from Ab and talk to them and they do not no why they cause a bad idle . His thoughts are they are a standard 02 . Thery are even a different shape and style
Thanks for telling me. I ran out of day time to call them today. I will tell them whats going on and get a set from the dealer regardless.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Still waiting on plug wires... I also am smelling a sweet smell of anti freeze, however when I smell my exhaust it doesn't smell sweet nor did it fail the head gasket block tester. Really wish the wires would get here sooner rather than later.
I've heard some speculation that the reason that the left front o2 sensor fails (and is more difficult to remove) is that coolant from the throttle body heater leaking gets on that sensor. Not 100% on this, but you might look and see if it's leaking.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Winching

I've heard some speculation that the reason that the left front o2 sensor fails (and is more difficult to remove) is that coolant from the throttle body heater leaking gets on that sensor. Not 100% on this, but you might look and see if it's leaking.
I could see how that would make it fail. It was leaking and I just replaced the gasket, all is good with the throttle body now.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Any advice on how to get the drivers o2 before the cat out? I have tried the special socket, penetrating oil, tapping with hammer.. It just won't budge. I have heard using a blow torch to heat up the pipe can help.
Thank you all for your time.
I just did this today on my 99. It totally kicked my butt. I cut the connector off the old o2 and slipped a box end wrench over the sensor. I tried PB blaster soaking from the night before and this morning. I tried heat from a blow torch. There is just no really good way to get leverage on that guy. I finally got it to move maybe half a turn and it never got loose. It finally rounded off enough that I wasn't going to make any progress. I finally dropped the front cross-member and y-pipe (breaking on bolt on the front cross-member and have to cut two bolts on the y-pipe. Then I removed the top off of the sensor with a hammer and a saws-all and I hammered the next smallest size deep socket onto the sensor. It finally came out with a 1/2 drive air impact.

I had to get a tap to clean up the threads on the y-pipe because half of the ones from the sensor were still in the bung.

Quick Reply: Engine issues, rough idle, bad o2's..