Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Engine misfire... LR dealer doesn't know what's wrong? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/engine-misfire-lr-dealer-doesnt-know-whats-wrong-23810/)

sna77 07-29-2009 07:23 PM

Engine misfire... LR dealer doesn't know what's wrong?

oyyy.... Disco is misfiring, and the LR dealer can't figure out what's wrong with it... Had the plugs and cables changed at 60k (70k now) and they just rechanged the cables, but its still misfiring... any ideas?

thx

JBEGIN 07-29-2009 07:25 PM

is your check engine light on? if it is get the codes read at auto zone, advanced auto parts, pep boys, any of those places, and get back to us

smokeyrabbit 07-29-2009 07:43 PM

What year Disco? Find a new service shop. Send me $200 in diagnostic fees and I won't be able to tell you what's going on also, but I'll give you an e-hug.

sna77 07-29-2009 07:46 PM

Wish I'd posted here first... The car is now at Land Rover Hanover, in Hanover, Ma. My local indy shop couldn't figure out what's wrong with it, so I had it taken in to the local LR dealer. They had it all day today and called me and told me they still don't know whats wrong with it. WTF?!

The car is a 2003 Disco II SE.

robdis96 07-29-2009 08:02 PM

do you have a check engine light, if so you need to get the code read and get back asap as previously stated. Could be different things and not necessarily a misfire. What wires and plugs did you have installed. How is it running, any other details would be great. Good luck with the dealers. I always try to come here first and fix it in my garage.

Spike555 07-29-2009 08:14 PM

If the dealer installed new leads then they need to look at the coils.
If the coils are fine then tell them that you will buy new ones but you want them to intall them.
www.apexperformance.net, get the Magnecor plug wires.

sna77 07-29-2009 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by robdis96 (Post 129405)
do you have a check engine light, if so you need to get the code read and get back asap as previously stated. Could be different things and not necessarily a misfire. What wires and plugs did you have installed. How is it running, any other details would be great. Good luck with the dealers. I always try to come here first and fix it in my garage.

Check engine light came on last month so i brought it to my indy shop. Here's the history:

- Initial fault codes were: P0302 PO303 according to indy shop.
- Indy shop did a 60k mile service that included spark plugs and also did wires
- check engine came back, same fault codes
- changed #3 ignition coil pack, still throwing code P0303

Lost faith in indy guy, took to LR dealer. They've had it 2 days and so far:

- swaped plugs
- looked at individual wires
- changed cylinder 3 ignition coil pack again
- still throwing same error and they have no idea whats wrong with it

oyyyy

Spike555 07-29-2009 08:20 PM

They need to swap the #3 coil with the #6 and see if the mis fire moves to #6.

sna77 07-29-2009 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 129411)
They need to swap the #3 coil with the #6 and see if the mis fire moves to #6.

If it moves... what does that mean?

If it doesn't move, what does that mean?

jazdisco2002 07-29-2009 08:27 PM

if it moves its in the coils. if it doesnt then it might be ecu related.