Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine missing badly, and all the passenger side plugs are wet/fouled

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Engine missing badly, and all the passenger side plugs are wet/fouled

I pulled codes when my engine started missing and all cylinders were throwing a misfire code, plus the P1300 code.

A few nights ago, I started it up and popped the hood, I could see faint arcing along the driver's side valve cover, all the same wire, running up to the front most cylinder.

Today I pulled the plugs to have a look and see if any were steam cleaned,..and replace the wires with a new set of STI wires. Here's what I found:

All the plugs on the driver's side bank looked OKish with the inuslator being off-white on one side of each plug, and charcoal gray on the other side......same on all 4 plugs.

Oddly, all the passenger side plugs were black, sooty and wet,.....all four of them were the same.

I think I remember from my last Disco 2 that each of the two coil packs services each of the cylinder banks. Sooooo,......what the heck would cause all four plugs in the right side bank to be wet with fuel (or maybe its oil??).

BTW, 1-no sign of oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil. Also, no steam out the tailpipe, (and no plugs appear to be "steam cleaned" from a coolant leak into a combustion area.
2-The plug wire Plug caps separated completely from 2 of the metal internal plug clips on each bank. I made certain to only pull on the rubber boot, not the wire, and they still self-distructed when I pulled on two plugs on each side. Denso wires,.......looked like the wire had just disintegrated where it attached to the plug boot.
3-I have a new set of STI wires ready to install.

Brian in Austin

Last edited by bcolins; 06-23-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Would it be the coil pack for the passenger side bank. I just replaced a coil pack in brother's VW 1.8T yesterday. Same problems as you, but the Germans have each plug on their own coil pack. I simply took the coil pack and moved it to a different cylinder and the miss followed. That's how I confirmed it was a bad coil pack. On a D2 swapping coil packs is not the easy.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Leave the coil alone and buy a good set of 8 mm STI or Magnecor wires which should fix this problem.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Coorrs and Mike, Guess you guys didnt read my complete post.....(:>) (I know it's longish). but I addressed both these things in my initial post.

Coors, The two coil packs service two cylinders in each bank (times 2), and Mike, I pulled the plugs as a prelude to installing my new STI wires.

Last edited by bcolins; 06-29-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Administrator

So, have you installed the wires, erased the codes, did any come back, if not do it.
If codes come back I want the fault code numbers not what you think they mean.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked the simple stuff yet like all the fuses? Check the F2 fuse under the hood. I had a similar issue and it was that 15a fuse under the hood. If it's not that then I'm not sure what to tell you next.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like the plug wires are totally shot. Chances both of your coils going out at the same time just on that side would be highly unlikely. If your going to change the plugs and just want the comfort of knowing you have good coils, you can purchase them and install when you do the wires.

If your ever in a bind I'm in the area. You can PM me for my email.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Again, after changing the plug wires and clearing the codes, do you have any fault code numbers and if so what are they?