Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine problem 2003 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:31 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problem 2003 Disco

Hello my name is Carl Anderson I'm a service member and is currently deployed to Afghanistan. Before I left my 2003 Discovery SE7 (4.6L 95,000 miles) was having issues but I didn't have the time to work it out. The vehicle seems to be running 700rpm's above normal and at 70mph I notice smoke exiting behind me the engine seems like it’s running hot, all gauges are normal no idiot lights illuminated no discoloration in the oil or coolant I replaced oil cover gaskets thermostat and plug and plug wires.
My wife is back in the States and would like to give her good info before I send her to a Mechanic.

Thanks
SSG Anderson FOB Ram Rod
Afghanistan

Old 10-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Three Wheeling

Thank you for doing what you do!

If you could share what state/area is you wife is in I'm sure somebody will step up to the plate and help out... if your in New England I will happily step up to help you out.

If its getting hot or overheating please ask (I've learned the hard way not to "tell") your wife to stop driving it as if you overheat it and most likely cook the whole thing and then we are talking big bucks to get it back on the road - probally not going to be worth it to you.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:05 AM
4th Gear
Default Thanks for the response (formally from Mass)

The Rover is "deadlined" in the yard
she dousn't drive it she has her car.
Shes at Ft Campbell KY
Just trying to get it fixed before I take leave

Thanks
SSG Anderson
FOB Ram Rod
Afghanistan

Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

What type/color of smoke? As for the idle, so what you are saying it is idling at around 1500 RPM's, how long has it been doing this, did it come on gradually or all at once? Could be carpet stuck under the gas pedal, dirty or frayed throttle cable, but most likely just a dirty t/body and idle solenoid.
Are you wanting to get this fixed before you get back or will you be doing the work?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 AM
4th Gear
Default in reference to above

Mike
the engine idles at 750rpm but when driven at 70mph the normal tach at around 2200 rpms is now at like 3000rpms and the smoke is burning oil smoke white and smell. I'd like to know kinda whats up before I send my wife to the dealership or a mechanic. I know her they could tell her that the truck needs a fluxcapacitor (back to the future humor) and she would have it installed.

Thanks
SSG Anderson
FOB Ram Rod
Afghanistan

Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Three Wheeling

I don’t know SSG Anderson but if he is out of Ft. Campbell, he is most likely 101st Air Assault or Special Ops. Lets step up and help diagnose his DII issues and hopefully suggest a trustworthy wrench in the Nashville Tenn area!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 PM
4th Gear

Thanks yep you hit it on the head 101 ABN AA
Thanks Boxerboy2 for the net call

SSG Anderson
FOB Ram Rod
Afghanistan

Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

White smoke, especially if it has a slight sweet smell will be coolant, head gasket issues.
As for the RPM's being high, sounds like the tranny may not be shifting into overdrive.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i agree with mike sounds like its head gasket time and at 95k you are in the zone for HG's.... if you plan on doing it yourself i would get the kit from AB along with new head bolts and if you have not already thats the time to swap out wires for some 8mm magnecores and some plat plugs (i use bosch +4's)... best of luck and thanks for serving our country.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Drifting

Any codes or pending codes? Any leaks? Possible transmission fluid leaking onto exhaust causing white smoke out of the rear while driving and shifting problems or slipping tranny?

Quick Reply: Engine problem 2003 Disco