Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Engine quit in drivethru line - related to codes 0440 0455? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/engine-quit-drivethru-line-related-codes-0440-0455-a-88218/)

knhughes34 02-13-2018 09:08 PM

Engine quit in drivethru line - related to codes 0440 0455?

I know that my 2001 disco is nearing the end of its commission - it has over 200,000 miles :cry: and I definitely have an oil leak that's more expensive to fix than what the car is worth, BUT I've been able to keep it filled by checking it about once a month. I've had a P0455 code for little bit.

Today I was idling (not in park) in a drivethru line and my car just stopped. There wasn't any indication this was going to happen. I tried to start it again, and it would crank, but not turn over. Had a restaurant employee help push me to the side.

About 30 minutes later, before calling AAA, I tried it again and it started. Ran rough, but not that bad. I got home fine. When I read the codes, it gave me P0440 and P0455. Would either of those issues cause the car to just stop? When it stopped, there was no misfire (that I could detect, at least).

I checked the oil, too, and was definitely low.

I suppose that the engine dying could be unrelated to the codes, but it seems like if something like that happened, you'd get a code for it.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!!! :confused:

DiscoCam 02-13-2018 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by knhughes34 (Post 637010)
I know that my 2001 disco is nearing the end of its commission - it has over 200,000 miles :cry: and I definitely have an oil leak that's more expensive to fix than what the car is worth, BUT I've been able to keep it filled by checking it about once a month. I've had a P0455 code for little bit.

Today I was idling (not in park) in a drivethru line and my car just stopped. There wasn't any indication this was going to happen. I tried to start it again, and it would crank, but not turn over. Had a restaurant employee help push me to the side.

About 30 minutes later, before calling AAA, I tried it again and it started. Ran rough, but not that bad. I got home fine. When I read the codes, it gave me P0440 and P0455. Would either of those issues cause the car to just stop? When it stopped, there was no misfire (that I could detect, at least).

I checked the oil, too, and was definitely low.

I suppose that the engine dying could be unrelated to the codes, but it seems like if something like that happened, you'd get a code for it.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!!! :confused:

Those codes are for evap leaks, seems unrelated to the problem. Symptoms sound like a failing crank position sensor. I might be wrong, so let's wait for some more replies before taking action.

LR03NJ 02-13-2018 11:43 PM

As DiscoCam suggestion. CkPS. Thats the usual symptoms. 200k is not the end yet. I have see 300k and still strong. Low oil can cause permature failure.

shanechevelle 02-14-2018 01:52 AM

You need to check more than once a month.

Once a week is a better piece of mind.

mln01 02-14-2018 01:59 AM

Yep, classic, textbook crankshaft position sensor failure story.

Best4x4 02-14-2018 01:18 PM

Sounds like a CKPS to me as well.

Motorhead1 02-14-2018 01:29 PM

The next time the vehicle doesn't start, use live data on your code reader and see if the R.P.M's are registering on your devise when you are trying to start the rover. If no, then the CPS is bad.