Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rear oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 09:50 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Engine rear oil leak

I've got the good ole rear of the engine oil leak and from my research it's gotta be one of three things....Rear main. crucifix, or oil pan.

I'm dropping the oil pan in the morning, just wondering if it is worth it to go ahead and do the crucifix seals while I am in there or wait and see if the leak is fixed or not. There are other threads that show how to do the job, just curious on how much a PIA it's gonna be. Also haven't done much looking into if there is a way to be certain on which of the 3 leaks it could be. Anyone have any pointers?

Thanks

Old 07-10-2020, 10:40 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Bertha
I've got the good ole rear of the engine oil leak and from my research it's gotta be one of three things....Rear main. crucifix, or oil pan.

I'm dropping the oil pan in the morning, just wondering if it is worth it to go ahead and do the crucifix seals while I am in there or wait and see if the leak is fixed or not. There are other threads that show how to do the job, just curious on how much a PIA it's gonna be. Also haven't done much looking into if there is a way to be certain on which of the 3 leaks it could be. Anyone have any pointers?

Thanks

have you done the pcv mod

Old 07-11-2020, 06:21 AM
Mudding

Yessir

Old 07-11-2020, 07:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

Odds are it’s the oil pan gasket. If you have a USB scope or similar you can get in between the flywheel and block and look around the rear main seal. Keep moving up the back of the block and check the oil gallery plugs 8mm hex. It can be confusing as oil could have seeped from the rear heads down in between the transmission bell housing and block.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:35 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by zski128
Odds are it’s the oil pan gasket. If you have a USB scope or similar you can get in between the flywheel and block and look around the rear main seal. Keep moving up the back of the block and check the oil gallery plugs 8mm hex. It can be confusing as oil could have seeped from the rear heads down in between the transmission bell housing and block.

https://youtu.be/Jy_i9NNQdCM
great video, thanks!

Old 07-11-2020, 10:39 AM

A little blue devil stop leak should be worth a try. Put it in and drive for 1-2 hours

Old 07-11-2020, 11:41 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
A little blue devil stop leak should be worth a try. Put it in and drive for 1-2 hours

Do you think I should skip the crucifix seals?

just at a curiosity, aren’t they under the oil pan? So how would they leak to the outside and not just into the oil pan.

ive got the pan off and there was a little oil under that 8mm 3 bolt inspection plate into the bell housing, but the flywheel itself looks clean and I don’t see anything where I presume the rear main is. Should I just call it the oil pan or still go ahead and change crucifix anyways

Old 07-11-2020, 11:46 AM

Not very familiar with stuff in there but according to video does the tranny not have to be removed ? And sounds like a good idea to replace all those seals like the Atlantic British dude pointed out

Old 07-11-2020, 11:48 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Not very familiar with stuff in there but according to video does the tranny not have to be removed ? And sounds like a good idea to replace all those seals like the Atlantic British dude pointed out

crucifix can be done without the tranny removed, the rear main cannot. Let me watch the video again and see if I skipped over it.

does anyone know what the crucifix seals are referred to as in the rave?

Old 07-11-2020, 12:16 PM
Mudding

Okay so they’re called cruciform seals in the Rave...
I thought I had my research done but I guess I’m a bit rusty

Just gonna inspect a little more and see if I can identify a leak from the cruciform/crucifix seals and may or may not change them.

thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Engine rear oil leak