Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rebuild parts.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Engine rebuild parts.

I'm going to be yanking out the engine block this week so that I can put my one slipped liner back into place, pin all 8, and then have my block tested and decked.

Afterwards I'm going to do a complete rebuild DIY as I put the engine back together.

As far as the bottom end goes, this is my list of parts from Turner Engineering.

What do you think? Am I missing anything, or is there things on my list I don't really need?

Attached Thumbnails Engine rebuild parts.-capture.png  
Old 02-26-2014, 01:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What condition is your radiator in? I'd be a shame to clean out/rebuild your block just to transfer sludge into it from an old dexcool-filled radiator.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:13 AM
Mudding

I'm not sure yet, BUT as I have heard most of the issues with this line are from overheating, I'm going to be doing a complete rebuild of the cooling system as well.

I'll make sure the radiator is 100%, or I'll upgrade it.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:19 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i would suggest you use an ARP head stud kit instead of the sty bolts, as turner and everyone else does.
why are you ordering parts from turner anyway?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I personally would put in a new camshaft since you are installing new lifters. New lifters on a worn out cam is typically not a good idea. I think that a new stock cam is only $75. Turner also makes a performance cam but it is more $$$ and I have not heard any first hand reviews of it yet.

With your new main and rod bearings, piston rings, cam, lifters and pinned liners and your engine should be good as new if not better.
You might want to replace the timing chain and gears ($100) to help move those new internals and new oil pump gears ($100) to keep them lubricated.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Mudding

So far.... Turner seems to be the best prices I can get on most of the parts I need. Plus shipping to AK is pretty cheap surprisingly enough.

If there are better prices out there, PLEASE direct me to a better location

Late last night I decided to add a new camshaft to the lineup but keep the original lifters. I'm also going to be adding a new timing chain and oil pump gears.

Any reason not to re-use the lifters if they look good?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Mudding

The ARP kit is $270

The TE kit is $35

I can't imagine the price difference being "worth it". Holy crap.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by knightmetro
So far.... Turner seems to be the best prices I can get on most of the parts I need. Plus shipping to AK is pretty cheap surprisingly enough.

If there are better prices out there, PLEASE direct me to a better location

Late last night I decided to add a new camshaft to the lineup but keep the original lifters. I'm also going to be adding a new timing chain and oil pump gears.

Any reason not to re-use the lifters if they look good?
The lifters will wear down with the cam. The bottom part of the lifter where it rides on the camshaft will get shaped by the lobe they ride on. If you throw a new cam on old lifters then the old lifters may not ride flush on the new cam causing uneven wear.
I think you are better off replacing both the cam and lifters together or leaving both of them alone. Try and keep the lifters with the same cam for there entire life, they are Soul Mates.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Mudding

I agree. If I'm going to throw in a new camshaft, no reason not to throw in another $80 on new lifters.

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

When you are ready to install the lifters, be sure to prime the lifters, and use some type of lifter and cam lube on all of the cam lobes and the bottom to the lifters. This will help with the break in process. There are many types of cam lube but it is like this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=85617_0_0_

Also, Be certain that you set the TDC correctly when installing a new timing chain. The RAVE has all the steps you need, and I have plenty of pictures from when I changed mine if you need help.

Last, you really need to be sure to prime the oil system completely BEFORE starting for the first time.

Last edited by Jared9220; 02-26-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild parts.