Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine service light unable to reset

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, great advise.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 AM
Drifting

[QUOTE=English Geoff;382795]Thanks Chermecz
This may sound a stupid question but is the camshaft sensor different to the crankshaft sensor? as the fault code says camshaft? Should I change both to make sure?

Thanks[/QUOTE
Sorry for commenting before I read your symptoms ...I changed crank sensor and not cam sensor...Rave location describes the location of sensor to be sort of difficult to get to..

Old 03-06-2013, 04:34 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

If you can't get 4th to kick in - may be check the level of the transmission fluid.
Or even better change it and the filter.

The voltage actuated solenoid for 4th may be sticky. I am guessing here.
Actually, a concert of solenoids will grip / ungrip for various gears.

I would also make sure the battery is up to top notch as is the alternator.
Low voltage will affect the transmission ability to actuate the solenoids.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Overlanding

Thanks jfall

The gearbox level is full, but as I have just bought the car I dont know when it was last changed, when i get home I am planning on changing the filter and oil to see if that works.

The battery has just been replaced as the day after I bought the car it failed, so that is good as well as the alternator.

Is there anything like oil flush that I can use to get any dirt out of the box or should i change the solenoid pack? Is this easy?

Thanks

Old 03-07-2013, 02:54 PM
TReK

Transmission work - not easy.
Unless you are skilled at it.
Do change the fluids. Have it flushed out if you can afford the pounds on that one.

Ashcroft Transmissions - 4HP22 FAQ's

Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Overlanding

Thanks Jfall

I will try the oil and filter change, if it doesnt sort it out I will try ashcroft, they look good and the prices seem reasonable.

Thanks

Old 03-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Overlanding

Thanks guys for the help. I got back yesterday and i am ashamed to say this but the wife has solved the issue of it not going into 4th gear!!! Do I feel like a prat!!!! She found that when the gearstick is in D the red indicator is not shown on the console and D is not shown on the dash!! so she kept the stick in in the red and showning on the dash by not engaging the lock on the stick!!! I am happy its nothing serious but now I am confused why all the other gears match the stick and only D is a problem, can this be adjusted out to work properly???

Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by English Geoff
Thanks guys for the help. I got back yesterday and i am ashamed to say this but the wife has solved the issue of it not going into 4th gear!!! Do I feel like a prat!!!! She found that when the gearstick is in D the red indicator is not shown on the console and D is not shown on the dash!! so she kept the stick in in the red and showning on the dash by not engaging the lock on the stick!!! I am happy its nothing serious but now I am confused why all the other gears match the stick and only D is a problem, can this be adjusted out to work properly???
First thing I would do is check the adjustment of the shift cable on the transmission switch. The procedure is outlined in the RAVE manual land rover service factory manual RAVE download land rover resource, service manual, workshop factory manual, download, rave, vehicles including discovery, series, defender, range rover, freelander, LR3, Handbooks, Catalog, Catalogue, Land Rover Inte

Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the advise, I checked the linkage adjustment and it looks like the previous owner had the same issue as the adjuster is welded in place! better go to the breakers to see if i can get a new one and grind off the mess!!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 PM
TReK

You married very smartly and well.
Keep her happy.

Quick Reply: Engine service light unable to reset