Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine stalls

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalls

Hi, I have an automaticDiscovery from 1997 with a 3.9l V8 and am recently experiencing the following problem:

I start her up normally and once I start driving, everything seems to be working fine. This morning however, I stopped at the lights and the engine stalled. I then started her up again, kept going, stopped at another set of lights and the engine stalled again. She started up normally again and then while I was driving along the engine stalled again, I brought her to a haltbut the enginewould not start this time - there wasn't even any ignition. After around 30 minutes, ignition returned and I took the Disco to the mechanic who told me that the air flow meter needed cleaning.

Well, after that was done, I went for a 20km trip and on the way back home, as I was driving along, the engine stalled again so I pulled up by the side of the road and started her up again without any problems and got home.

Any ideas on what might be causing this stalling? Thanks.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Engine stalls

First of all your mechanic was completely wrong, a MAF has no bearing on the ignition.
Do you have a check engine light on, if so, have you had it scanned and what were the fault codes?
Mike

Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

I too had the same problem, you mightcheck the fuel pump plug or the pump.

Thx

Old 01-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: albertbc

I brought her to a haltbut the enginewould not start this time - there wasn't even any ignition.
Whay do you mean....the engine would not turn over?? ingition just click?? If so, I guess electrical issue.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Overlanding

Hi all and thanks for replying. In response:

1) Mike - following your advice I will send it in to check the codes on Monday and will get back to you with the results.
2) Mr.47 - fuel pump has been checked and everything seems to be fine
3) Blake - when I turned the key there was no click, nothing at all (as if I was not doing anything). After about 30 minutes, however, everything returned back to normal without doing anything and the car started up normally. It seemed as if I had to let the car cool down although I do not have a clue if this would have a bearing on ignition.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Overlanding

With the random symptoms and the time it wouldn't even turn over I would say it is in your ignition....specifically the part of the ignition that tells the computer when to fire (sort of?). I'm not surehow land roversaccomplish this yet, butsome americanautos use either a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. These can be located either inside a distributor or kind of on top of the transmission (you may not have a distributor). A manual would be a nice thing to have. Again, I am not a rover expert, just a shade tree kind of guy trying to give you some direction.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stepper motor on the intake needs be adjusted and throttle body cleaned

Old 01-16-2007, 01:44 AM
Overlanding

Hi all and thanks for your replies which have been of great help. Following your guidlines, I have sent the car in for testing which shows that there is no spark when the engine stalls. In light of this, the module in the distributor is being changed as it was found to be faulty and the car is being re-wired from the ignition to the starter as it seems that there could be a short occuring there.

Will inform you on how this turns out.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Overlanding

Hi, just wanted to advice that after having driven around a bit,the above seems to have done the trick. Thanks again to all who helped.