Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap or rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 06:32 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I’ll just go on ahead and ride my Lm7 up to the machine shop then. Do you think it would be a good idea to go for a tow cam and pistons since it’s a rebuild? It would make a great rescue rig motor.also is there anyway I can install an extra oil cooler for the transmission since if I build the engine to let’s say 350hp, the extra oil cooler can keep the transmission temperature down. I don’t wanna blow my trans!

Old 09-26-2023, 08:56 AM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Not sure what your budget is but the LS swap can start adding up.

I was able to replace mine with slipped liners from a P38 with about 100K miles. Plug and play no modifications. If you can find a replacement 4.6 with milage you are comfortable with even if you have to buy the car and ditch it after removing the engine it may be the most cost effective way to go.

Old 09-26-2023, 03:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by LandRaider1
I guess I’ll just go on ahead and ride my Lm7 up to the machine shop then. Do you think it would be a good idea to go for a tow cam and pistons since it’s a rebuild? It would make a great rescue rig motor.also is there anyway I can install an extra oil cooler for the transmission since if I build the engine to let’s say 350hp, the extra oil cooler can keep the transmission temperature down. I don’t wanna blow my trans!
The issue with the trans is not the oil temp, its the clutch size. If you have an 03-04 you have the larger clutches, might want to upgrade to an aschcroft clutch pack anyway while the engine is out. If it a 99-02, well, I guess depends on how hard you decide to work it. The LM7 is not really going to make that much more torque than the Rover motor anyway.

Old 09-27-2023, 11:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

is there anyway I can install an extra oil cooler for the transmission since if I build the engine to let’s say 350hp, the extra oil cooler can keep the transmission temperature down. I don’t wanna blow my trans!
The ACE swap recommends adding a trans cooler inline with the factory one. I haven't done that mod yet. I plan to because heat can kill these transmissions and I plan on towing our popup with my Disco. Some trips will be all the way from eastern Kansas to Colorado... in summer.

The 4HP22 can handle up to 295 lb-ft of torque and the 4HP24 can handle up to 331. If you go build your engine to be more powerful than that, your transmission is at risk of breaking.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I’ve heard of pinning the cylinder liners and the truck has 126,000 miles on it . How much would it cost to pin the cylinder liners? Would that be a better avenue to take? Also I was going to send the LM7 off to a machine shop to get rebuilt. I was going for a torque build so I can tow some things around also it would be really fun to have that to work went over landing since I do want this to be a rescue rig. I know a guy who said he would swap the engine and do the wiring for me for 2000 and the engine rebuild that I want will be 1700 which honestly I think it’s a little high. If I get the ace kit, I was going to get the wiring harness that they include with it so I know for certain all of that will be 5 to 6000. What I’m really worried about is the exhaust though. I don’t know if I would need someone to make custom exhaust or maybe I can find a website to where I can buy a kit for it which I doubt they have.
You dont say where you are, but if Howell, NJ is convenient, Master Rover Tech on this board, pinned my engine a few years ago and it has been perfect since. Quiet, not leaks, runs great, honestly the best money I have spent on any of my Rovers. I would do it again in a heart beat. The guy really, really knows his stuff, super honest, went above and beyond on a few items in my truck. I would take any of my cars to him, 911, MB, etc. He was doing an engine rebuild on a Mclaren when I was there.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by L33DiscoII
The ACE swap recommends adding a trans cooler inline with the factory one. I haven't done that mod yet. I plan to because heat can kill these transmissions and I plan on towing our popup with my Disco. Some trips will be all the way from eastern Kansas to Colorado... in summer.

The 4HP22 can handle up to 295 lb-ft of torque and the 4HP24 can handle up to 331. If you go build your engine to be more powerful than that, your transmission is at risk of breaking.
If you are going to add an additional transmission cooler to the ZF4, I'd add the cooler in parallel rather than in series. If the extra cooler is added in series, it can increase the resistance on the pump, which can damage the pump. I've had an extra cooler on my ZF4 in parallel for a while now. I noticed a positive difference in shifting since I added it.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:05 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! long time no talk! still haven't done the swap yet do to the fact, One day I went outside to see what my dad was doing and according to him he said that the truck wasn't driving right. I told him to elaborate and he said it seemed like it wasn't getting a lot of power when he took the trash out the other day. So I got in the truck and I looked to see if the diff was in neutral which it was So I take it down the road and as I'm trying to drive, it seemed as if it was stuck in either first or second gear. After that I felt a loud dunk and the truck stopped moving. The motor was still on but I would try to accelerate but nothing would happen so I put it into 4 high and then I limped it back into the yard. When it's in for high or 4 low it will drive but if it's in just regular drive it won't go anywhere. Would any of you good gentlemen know what's wrong with my truck? I'm hoping and praying it's not the transfer case. Planning on seeing a mechanic soon! I'm still a noob at this so I asked you guys to bear with me. This is my first Land Rover and I want to do everything right with this one. I know it's a learning process but I don't I really don't want to mess this up you know. I really love this truck, my dad enjoys it as well! trying to get it ready by the end of the year.

Last edited by LandRaider1; 01-17-2024 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Turner engine. Cost me $11,000 . I think it runs great. 4 plus years and no issues.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 227 Likes on 196 Posts

Get underneath there and check out both drive shafts.

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 04:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

like JohnZo said, crawl under the truck and look at both the driveshafts.