Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Whine and clicking

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Whine and clicking

Hey guys - I have been searching through the threads but couldn't find anything on the below two questions, hoping someone can help.

In the first picture, what is the thing the screw driver is pointing to? when the truck first starts it sounds like it clapping its clicking so loud. once it the idle settles in it seems to go quiet but then it will start doing it again?

In the video, just looking for some advice on what that Whine is? I put the screw driver on all the pulleys I could reach and they all sound normal (for a Disco) I am guessing either steering pump or water pump?

If I need to separate the questions into two threads let me know and as always thanks for the advice.

Here is the video of the sound(hope this works)

Attached Thumbnails Engine Whine and clicking-clicking-part.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 10:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The part in the picture is your Purge Valve and it is supposed to click. As for the "whine", mine makes the exact same sound and I am almost positive it is my Power Steering pump.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:20 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like the alternator is about to blow up.
Put the screw driver to the alternator and then to your ear and see how that is.
Good job posting a video!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had alternators sound exactly like that. +1 on ear to Alternator Housing via Screwdriver. Try it on all the major components.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfall
Sounds like the alternator is about to blow up.
Put the screw driver to the alternator and then to your ear and see how that is.
Good job posting a video!
Thanks Guys...I did the alternator and it is making a whistling sound (that i actually thought was a vacuum leak), which is probably another issue.

The whine is def coming from where the area the steering pump is. Also, forgot to add but its been really cold here and in the morning when i first start the car it makes a God awful sound then goes back to just whining...This morning i tried to tun the wheel while it was making the sound and it felt like it was stuck for a second, when the sound reduced to a whine the wheel felt normal. So def think its the pump.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a leaky power steering pump and ordered a brand new one only to find that it too was leaking. I pulled it back off and sent it back. I went and bought some gasket material from NAPA and made my own homemade gasket that stopped the leak in the old pump so I never bought another new one and just kept my money. However I think I remember the engine sounding much better with the new pump and when I put my old one back on the whine was there again. It sure does sound like it could blow at any second so I should probably get on that sooner rather than later.
I will breakdown and buy another new pump again soon and see if it fixes the whine. I have no time frame for that as of yet because I am currently working on fixing the cruise control but I will let you know if I ever get another pump. Please let us know if you fix the problem and what the solution was.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is a old thread. RegT you ever figured out what was that noise? I have a similar situation. I am thinking it's Idle Pulley

here is what mine sounds like

Old 12-29-2016, 06:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
I know this is a old thread. RegT you ever figured out what was that noise? I have a similar situation. I am thinking it's Idle Pulley

https://youtu.be/ET2DOdEK4mc
What. The. Hell?!?! That's bizarre.

RPM related, not moving, so that's rotating gear of some kind. I'm assuming you tried to locate it in the bay with no success. Wow. I have no idea what that is but I'm subscribing to find out.

My best guess is a screwed bearing on a pulley but it is a rank guess.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA

https://youtu.be/ET2DOdEK4mc
I'm thinking Alternator or Steering. Stick, to ear, to components, to find it.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds like an old dog trying to growl. It could be a bearing or a pulley. I see you had it to operating temp. Have you checked to see if it's possibly the a/c condenser fan? A regular pulley shouldn't sound that loud and you would think the steering would only make that type of racket with a low/clogged resivour and with the wheels turning, not stationary. I would start at the a/c condenser fan. You should be able to get it to operating temp and then have somebody rev it up a bit and stick your hand to the rear of it while it's turning to feel it. If it's hot to the touch, wobbling, or shaking, bad bearing. Hell you could have hit a bird or something and still have some part of it trapped in there. I'd start there then go in the engine bay and start checking those pulleys. And as somebody else said, it could be the a/c clutch. The alternator would/should have metal flakes around it if it were the culprit due to the internal fan. Logic would say that a bad bearing in it would let it wobble enough to hit the sides of the cover and create some kind of indication but as we all know, logic doesn't always prevail. I'm interested to see what would cause that though BC that is a god awful noise

Quick Reply: Engine Whine and clicking