Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine won't start

I have a 99 Disco II. I had my battery go dead in FOB once a while back. I unlocked the door with the key and tried to start the engine but it would not turn over. Is this normal?

After walking to Radio Shack and getting a new battery for the FOB I was able to disarm the security and start the vehicle. My dealer says the key should start it but on a second occasion a friend took my key and unlocked the door (not using the FOB button) and again the vehicle would not start until I pushed the unlock button on the FOB.

Now I am in a situation where my vehicle is 50+ miles from the dealer and my girlfriend lost my only key. I am getting a new key but the dealer says I have to bring in the vehicle to program the FOB. If the key doesn't or won't start it I am screwed.

Am I missing something with getting the security to disarm using just the key??

Thanks,

Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this happen a couple times on my D1. What I did was close all the doors then using the key in the drivers door, locked all the doors, waited 10 seconds, then unlocked the doors. It would start up after that. That was on a D1 though. Don't know about a D2. Can't hurt to try.

Eric

Old 01-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Check this out

Thanks for the input Eric. I will try anything to not have to tow it.

Check this out: This is an excerpt from an AUTO DIAGNOSIS document

Read EKA Code (Freelander up to 01, Defender, Discovery)

Under normal circumstances, the only way to disarm the Immobiliser on a Land Rover
vehicle is to use the correct Plip key to unlock the car. If no Plip key is available or
functioning, it is possible to disarm the Immobiliser by using the EKA (Emergency Key
Access) Code. This option will read the EKA Code from the vehicle and display it on the
Multi-Tester Pro screen.
The EKA Code consists of a 4 digit numerical sequence. To use an EKA code to disarm a
vehicle, perform the following sequence:
Insert the key into the drivers door lock and turn to the lock position.
Wait for 5 seconds.
Turn the key to the unlock position the number of times indicated by the first digit of the EKA code.
Turn the key to the lock position the number of times indicated by the second digit of the EKA code.
Turn the key to the unlock position the number of times indicated by the third digit of the EKA code.
Turn the key to the lock position the number of times indicated by the fourth digit of the EKA code.
Turn the key to the unlock position.

If the EKA code is entered correctly, the Alarm LED will stop flashing, and the engine will
start.
If you make an error while entering the EKA code, open and close the driver’s door before
going back to the start of the sequence. If the EKA code is entered unsuccessfully 3 times,
the system will ignore any further attempts for the next 10 minutes.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by SDinDS
What I did was close all the doors then using the key in the drivers door, locked all the doors, waited 10 seconds, then unlocked the doors. It would start up after that. That was on a D1 though. Don't know about a D2. Can't hurt to try.

Eric
X2 this should work. I never use the FOB on my 99 D2, only the key itself.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Thanks,

Originally Posted by sloan74
X2 this should work. I never use the FOB on my 99 D2, only the key itself.
I guess my concern is that it was locked with the FOB...

I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Winching

I just went in the garage, locked my 99 D2 with the FOB, then unlocked it with the key (insert key turn left). Truck started no problem. You should be good to go. Keep us posted.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Default And here is the problem

Originally Posted by sloan74
I just went in the garage, locked my 99 D2 with the FOB, then unlocked it with the key (insert key turn left). Truck started no problem. You should be good to go. Keep us posted.
Thanks for input guys. I have an update.

First things first, someone found our old key and so we should be good. HOWEVER let us proceed with a discussion of what got me here.

Okay, so to recap, I lost my key and I had locked my truck with FOB. I have a 99 Disco II. As I have learned there is a rolling code transmitted from the FOB and there in lies the rub when you loose your original key.

Any new FOB, NOT ordered specifically for your vehicle (read pre-programmed), comes with two multi digit alpha numeric codes as bar codes attached to the FOB (or Plips as LR calls it). Those codes must be programmed into the body controller unit (BCU) and it can store up to 5 of these codes. A plip (or FOB) that has not had its bar codes entered into the BCU will not provide the correct rolling code to the BCU and therefore even though the key fits, the engine immobiliser is not disarmed. (this explains my dead battery issue brought up at the beginning of the thread but not the other issue where the door was unlocked with the key and engine still would not start; UNLESS the rolling code is only issued when the FOB button is pushed which would obviously conserve battery power on the FOB.)

So, upon loosing my key I would have to:
order a pre programmed key from LR -OR-
have my vehicle towed to the dealer so they could program the bar codes from an instock plip (FOB) that has not been programmed into my BCU yet.

-OR- use the EKA (Emergency Key Access Code) to disarm the immobiliser.

So, you can get the EKA by presenting your proof of ownship to the dealer and providing the VIN number for the vehicle. They can then call up your key code to have the key cut, the radio code (that locks out your radio), and the EKA code.

The EKA code is a 4 digit code that is basically a combination to turn off the immobiliser. See my second post in this thread for the details of how to use the code. The number may have a letter in it which I am assuming is hexidecimal. I am trying to get verification on that but I can't see it any other way.

So I got this code and so far it has not worked. There seems to be some nuances in getting it to work but I am going to pursue this further as it could be critical in the event the battery in my FOB died. (I live in alaska and there is a long, long way between me and the dealer at any given time.)

BTW, I will next be taking the new FOB to the dealer to have him enter the barcodes into the BCU so I have two keys; it will cost one hour of labor.

BTW I did pay 186.00 for the new FOB.

Yes that is a lot of money and all but it is part an elaborate anti theft system and that is just part of the ownership of the vehicle; as I see it anyway. (the towing part would be extremely inconvenient and expensive however, so I am going to insist someone show me how the EKA works.)

I will follow up the EKA.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 AM
2nd Gear
Default 97 discovery

Ok it isn't a D2. Some of the post said I could get an access code fro the dealer, since the fob doesn't work. Dealer said no code. So which is correct?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:41 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

try code 1515

supposedly a default for North America

Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 AM
1st Gear

I have a 04 disco 2 and I have a problem starting the engine...... The key fob opens and closes the doors, when I put the key in the ignition and turn to start the lights come on as normal but when I turn the key to the start position nothing happens....... To get around this if I disconnect the negative wire from the battery, wait 1 minute and re attached it will start..

This seams to only be doing this when I have stop started a journey ie go to the shops come out and wants start.

I have replaced the batteries in the key fob but still not better off,

can anyone's help please ........

Quick Reply: Engine won't start