Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Epic Out West Trip - Upgrades Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 08:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Not familiar with this particular area, but l've used my winch more than a few times to move downed trees or get me moving again.. And a good sharp axe has saved my butt more than once. Nothing worse, than being on a tight trail and running into a down tree. And, if you install a winch...learn to use it...read up on safely using the winch and proper equipment..then go out and get stuck...they are not just eye-candy. I wheel/explore 99% of the time solo, so relying on others isn't an easy option.

Personally, and again...have no idea about the trails you speak of...but an 04 with locking CDL, TC, good off road tires, hi-lift jack, winch and a few other off-road odds and ends and a good head on your shoulders/good off-roading experience...should take you about anywhere you want to go. Biggest thing is...get out and walk a section of trail prior. Have a plan...prior to needing one. Look for anchor points, impassable objects, certain failure sections, places to turn around, etc. And be prepared to spend a night or two, longer, than planned (food and water).

Oh, and don't be that guy...that never checks his winch until it's needed. Usually check mine before every trip.
Great tips, Deputy! Smittybilt winches are only $300, so maybe I'll pull the trigger on one. The area is mostly desert and rocks so I'll need to do some reading on desert recovery with a winch. I think there is a way you can use your hi-lift as an anchor in a pinch. Good call on the axe. I'll get one for the kit.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 820 Likes on 538 Posts

Ah Red Cone is a fun one and love Moab. Truck looks like it's in good shape already! I would get some armor on the diffs and personal preference is air lockers vs the trutracs, though I understand there is a significant cost difference. The select-ability of the air lockers is super super nice and makes the vehicle a little more predictable in pretty much all situations and reduces wheel spin.

The coopers should be just fine, not a lot of mud out this way the overwhelming majority of the time. Traction boards are a fantastic tools, I'd bring an ax and a saw as well.

Honestly, I love the security of having a winch. Moab not so many trees or good anchor points but everywhere you mentioned going you most likely see people on trail everyday and you can use their vehicle as an anchor. I think I've only used my winch for my own vehicle a handful of times but I've used it to either clear a trail or help someone get unstuck that is blocking the trail (could do this with a strap but I try to avoid kinetic recoveries if at all possible). Plenty of people in CO this past year out there trying their hand at off-roading without proper recovery tools or knowledge getting in over their heads.

Let me know if you want someone to tag along on the CO trails!! Also, be aware that Red Cone isn't passable until July usually.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle

@whowa004 I think you tipped me over into the "get a winch" category. After talking to Bill at GBR, I decided to go with the TrueTracs just because I do more highway driving than serious offroading, but I agree, those are much more effective off road.

I didn't know Red Cone was impassable until July. That might change my plans a little bit. I am open to timing and locations of the trip so if you have suggestions let me know. I think it would be cool to get a bunch of Disco's out there for a meet up.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:26 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

When are you going?

Old 01-10-2021, 10:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 820 Likes on 538 Posts

Check bushducks or trailsoffroad for previous years data for when trails open. CO high mountain passes generally don't open until 7/4 if they are cleared by the counties and sometimes not until Aug if there is a big snowpack.

The trutracs imo are harder on the driveline regardless of how you use the vehicle as they don't engage until you have wheel spin which increases the chances of shock loading the driveline. Those shock loading events are when things start breaking. I know you already went this route and I know people who run them on their RRC and love them just wanted to add my last .02. If not re-gearing then just a rear air locker is a fantastic option and would price out to be the same roughly as 2 trutracs.

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 11:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Good points about another vehicle being your anchor, sometimes an area or especially a roll over doesn't allow for a strap and pull. We winched a guy back on his wheels one time...and there was definitely not enough room for a strap and vehicle.

cvhyatt (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 12:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime! I would just make sure your basic maintenance is done and go as light as possible. Drive to your abilities off-road and remember there are still sparsely populated stretches throughout the Western US so purchase/upgrade your roadside assistance to premium just in case you need a long tow.

cvhyatt (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 12:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by whowa004
Check bushducks or trailsoffroad for previous years data for when trails open. CO high mountain passes generally don't open until 7/4 if they are cleared by the counties and sometimes not until Aug if there is a big snowpack.

The trutracs imo are harder on the driveline regardless of how you use the vehicle as they don't engage until you have wheel spin which increases the chances of shock loading the driveline. Those shock loading events are when things start breaking. I know you already went this route and I know people who run them on their RRC and love them just wanted to add my last .02. If not re-gearing then just a rear air locker is a fantastic option and would price out to be the same roughly as 2 trutracs.
I'm going to stay over there a bit longer than the rest of my family, they only have about a week off. I'm doing Sedona, Moab, and then Telluride. Maybe Death Valley. I should be over there the first or second week of June if you want to hit some trails.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jacobmstein
I'm going to stay over there a bit longer than the rest of my family, they only have about a week off. I'm doing Sedona, Moab, and then Telluride. Maybe Death Valley. I should be over there the first or second week of June if you want to hit some trails.
Still trying to figure timing. Was thinking late april but if everything's going to be snowed in, i might have to wait a bit longer. I am open to timing to accomodate a larger group if possible.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:41 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
Still trying to figure timing. Was thinking late april but if everything's going to be snowed in, i might have to wait a bit longer. I am open to timing to accomodate a larger group if possible.
I already sorted accommodations in Moab as I'll be there with quite a few people, however, after that I'll be alone. If you're around there in June let me know.

Quick Reply: Epic Out West Trip - Upgrades Needed?